farthest am radio
Add Reply
m***@gmail.com
2018-01-04 06:45:27 UTC
On occasion I pick up WOAI San Antonio from Springfield OR. I'm thinking around 1500 miles as the crow flys.
rdc
2018-01-04 23:16:24 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
On occasion I pick up WOAI San Antonio from Springfield OR. I'm
thinking around 1500 miles as the crow flys.
It's not as far, but at night I could routinely get KYW (Philly) in
Birmingham, AL--but that's only about 800 miles or so.
Arthur Whitter
2018-01-05 13:48:37 UTC
I was driving on US 285 near Fairplay CO (aka ???) and I picked up WBAP 820 am
from Dallas area. Anyone been able to pick up a station as far away or
farther? That must be like 900 mi. I thought i once picked up another 820 am
in the same place maybe from Minneapolis? Anyone know? Thanks
Back in the day, KOMO (AM 1000, Seattle, which then played music) could be picked up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. So could KTWO (1030, Casper, WY). As for Minneapolis, that's WCCO 830 AM.
Tom Stoeckle
Garrett Wollman
2018-01-11 17:52:05 UTC
Post by Tom Stoeckle
Its not uncommon for several of the California stations to be heard in
Hawaii (KFI, KCBS)
It used to be common for high-power European and African stations to
be heard on the east coast of North America in the depths of winter
(when the ionosphere is at its quietest). Twenty-three years ago I
could hear Algeria on 891 in Boston pretty regularly; then a new local
station signed on at 890 and obliterated it.

Many of the signals are still there, but picking them out from the
interference now requires specialized equipment such as
software-defined radios and directional antennas. There are clubs for
people who are interested in this sort of thing.

-GAWollman
(who wonders why this thread is in misc.transport.road of all places)
***@bimajority.org| act to remove constraint from the future. This is