What's the difference between a 'roundabout' and a 'traffic circle' ?
Kenny McCormack
2015-10-12 15:48:00 UTC
Surfing the web, I found the following statement:

* The European adoption of roundabouts (not the crap traffic circles like in
* NJ) as replacement of traffic lights in local roads helps keep traffic
* moving even on local roads so Europeans tend not to experience regular
* stoppages (Italy for my reference).

I'm familiar with NJ and its traffic circles. I'm somewhat familiar with
roundabouts in England (but not Italy). My question is, what's the
difference?
--
They say compassion is a virtue, but I don't have the time!

- David Byrne -
jgar the jorrible
2015-10-12 16:06:52 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
* The European adoption of roundabouts (not the crap traffic circles like in
* NJ) as replacement of traffic lights in local roads helps keep traffic
* moving even on local roads so Europeans tend not to experience regular
* stoppages (Italy for my reference).
I'm familiar with NJ and its traffic circles. I'm somewhat familiar with
roundabouts in England (but not Italy). My question is, what's the
difference?
--
They say compassion is a virtue, but I don't have the time!
- David Byrne -
I was going to say "a British accent," but then I found this: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090621/COLUMNIST/906211023?p=1&tc=pg

So now I know that thing I complained about being the wrong solution for a particular intersection was a roundabout. It was entertaining seeing a large motorhome not be able to properly navigate it, though.

Now humming Yes.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
This smoked out the end of a major soccer match at CSSM: http://www.cbs8.com/story/30235941/fire-breaks-out-at-san-marcos-rv-business
Larry Sheldon
2015-10-12 20:17:39 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
* The European adoption of roundabouts (not the crap traffic circles like in
* NJ) as replacement of traffic lights in local roads helps keep traffic
* moving even on local roads so Europeans tend not to experience regular
* stoppages (Italy for my reference).
I'm familiar with NJ and its traffic circles. I'm somewhat familiar with
roundabouts in England (but not Italy). My question is, what's the
difference?
The right answer is "I don't know", but my opinion is that a "traffic
circle" or "rotary" is basically a street that runs in a closed circle
and is probably a one-way street, but entrances and exits are like any
street intersection--might have stop-signs, traffic lights, parking,
pedestrians, ...

A "roundabout" is an engineered piece, angle inputs and outputs,
entering traffic ALWAYS "Yield"s for the circulating traffic, no
pedestrians, no parking.

I found this that seems to support my ignorance:

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/round/Differences_between_Modern_Roundabouts_and_Old_Traffic_Circles.pdf
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Evan Platt
2015-10-13 04:16:10 UTC
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 15:17:39 -0500, Larry Sheldon
Post by Larry Sheldon
A "roundabout" is an engineered piece, angle inputs and outputs,
entering traffic ALWAYS "Yield"s for the circulating traffic, no
pedestrians, no parking.
http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/round/Differences_between_Modern_Roundabouts_and_Old_Traffic_Circles.pdf
Hey, look kids! Big Ben, Parliament.

Larry Sheldon
2015-10-13 05:54:10 UTC
http://youtu.be/iAgX6qlJEMc
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Swindon%29
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Kenny McCormack
2015-10-15 07:35:47 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by Kenny McCormack
[...]
Interesting. But, curiously enough, most of the circles that I remember
seeing in NJ were more like the later and less like the former. So, I
still don't get where the original author (of the quote in the OP) saw fit
to disparage NJ.
Post by Larry Sheldon
http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/round/Differences_between_Modern_Roundabouts_and_Old_Traffic_Circles.pdf
A good read. Thanks for the pointer.
--
Here's a simple test for Fox viewers:

1) Sit back, close your eyes, and think (Yes, I know that's hard for you).
2) Think about and imagine all of your ridiculous fantasies about Barack Obama.
3) Now, imagine that he is white. Cogitate on how absurd your fantasies
seem now.

See? That wasn't hard, was it?
Larry Sheldon
2015-10-15 17:40:20 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by Kenny McCormack
[...]
I don't remember dealing with the NJ critters, so I don't know.

It would be interesting to find out.
Larry Sheldon
2015-10-15 17:55:22 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
1) Sit back, close your eyes, and think (Yes, I know that's hard for you).
2) Think about and imagine all of your ridiculous fantasies about Barack Obama.
3) Now, imagine that he is white. Cogitate on how absurd your fantasies
seem now.
See? That wasn't hard, was it?
Perhaps my problem is that I am not a "Fox viewer"--I don't, for all
practical purposes, watch any television at all.....

I have not trouble at all with thinking, especially about absurd
propaganda like this.

"..imagine that he is white" By his testimony (who knows what the truth
is) he IS half white, what ever that turns out to mean.

But the similarities between him and some historical figures that are
all "white" is striking.

But I don't have any fantasies about Barack Obama at all, so the thing
runs aground bad at that point.

But I do have some serious dislikes about the man and what he has done
and what I think he will do, ALL based without exception on what he has
said and what he has done and what he has said he will do.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2015-10-20 16:49:24 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
I'm familiar with NJ and its traffic circles. I'm somewhat familiar with
roundabouts in England (but not Italy). My question is, what's the
difference?
N.J. has a diner.