I-395 CT exit numbers
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
2015-10-04 23:17:56 UTC
Driving down the I-395 portion of the Connecticut Turnpike this
afternoon, I noticed that the sequential exit numbers of the Turnpike
have been replaced with what appear to be distance-based numbers.
Unfortunately, the distance seems to be in miles rather than
forward-looking kilometers. What a waste of money this is when it will
only have to be done over again in kilometers. Then we'll have a plate
"Old Exit 6" over top of a plate "Old Old Exit 78" over top of "New Exit
10."
T.J. Higgins
2015-10-05 15:13:07 UTC
Post by Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
Driving down the I-395 portion of the Connecticut Turnpike this
afternoon, I noticed that the sequential exit numbers of the Turnpike
have been replaced with what appear to be distance-based numbers.
Unfortunately, the distance seems to be in miles rather than
forward-looking kilometers. What a waste of money this is when it will
only have to be done over again in kilometers. Then we'll have a plate
"Old Exit 6" over top of a plate "Old Old Exit 78" over top of "New Exit
10."
It is inconceivable in the present political climate that Congress
would appropriate any money for a conversion to metric. Besides,
too many powerful business interests oppose it due to the short-term
increase in expenses that it would bring.

There was a move toward metric in the late 1970s when Carter was
president. The main streets in where I live here in Alabama had
speed limit signs with both the mph and kph values shown. The
kph signs quietly disappeared after Reagan took office and
presumably the program was defunded by Congress.

As much as I wish it would happen, I don't expect to live to see
the US convert to metric (I'm in my 50s). The Cubs will win the
world series before the US goes metric. :^)
--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Arif Khokar
2015-10-07 04:18:35 UTC
Post by T.J. Higgins
As much as I wish it would happen, I don't expect to live to see
the US convert to metric (I'm in my 50s). The Cubs will win the
world series before the US goes metric. :^)
Then there are those, like me, who keep their vehicle's temperature
readings in Celsius, their digital scale reading in kilograms, and their
bicycle speedometer set to display km/h. I've actually got to the point
that I have to mentally convert Celsius back to Fahrenheit if I have to
talk about the weather forecast here.
Larry Sheldon
2015-10-07 15:09:31 UTC
Post by Arif Khokar
Post by T.J. Higgins
As much as I wish it would happen, I don't expect to live to see
the US convert to metric (I'm in my 50s). The Cubs will win the
world series before the US goes metric. :^)
Then there are those, like me, who keep their vehicle's temperature
readings in Celsius, their digital scale reading in kilograms, and their
bicycle speedometer set to display km/h. I've actually got to the point
that I have to mentally convert Celsius back to Fahrenheit if I have to
talk about the weather forecast here.
I know people that think in Klingon.

That too seems stupid and pointless, but I don't guess they are hurting me.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Ed-M
2015-10-08 15:32:53 UTC
Post by Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
Driving down the I-395 portion of the Connecticut Turnpike this
afternoon, I noticed that the sequential exit numbers of the Turnpike
have been replaced with what appear to be distance-based numbers.
Unfortunately, the distance seems to be in miles rather than
forward-looking kilometers. What a waste of money this is when it will
only have to be done over again in kilometers. Then we'll have a plate
"Old Exit 6" over top of a plate "Old Old Exit 78" over top of "New Exit
10."
If you think that's bad, try Massachusetts! I-395 turns into I-290 for no reason except 290 is the original number from the Mass Pike to Hudson, Mass.