Steepest Road
p***@gmail.com
2018-04-04 21:37:48 UTC
any nominations for the steepest grade on the various classes of road?
i don't mean "what's the regulation or design specs?", but what's the
steepest road that's open to traffic?
interstate, US hwy, state, etc.
--bruce cridlebaugh
Canton Ave, in Pittsburg is generally considered the steepest municipal road, but I am sure that is only because Stone Street in Lead, SD doesn't get any maintenance. It's too dangerous to drive a city owned vehicle upon. My geuss is it would be about 45% grade. The stairs along the side of the road, are 1-2 foot tall per step. completely ridiculous to even walk up. I have only ever head of people driving down that road, and no one twice.
John Levine
2018-04-04 23:45:45 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
any nominations for the steepest grade on the various classes of road?
i don't mean "what's the regulation or design specs?", but what's the
steepest road that's open to traffic?
interstate, US hwy, state, etc.
--bruce cridlebaugh
Canton Ave, in Pittsburg is generally considered the steepest municipal road, but I am sure that is only
because Stone Street in Lead, SD doesn't get any maintenance. It's too dangerous to drive a city owned
vehicle upon. My geuss is it would be about 45% grade. The stairs along the side of the road, are 1-2 foot
tall per step. completely ridiculous to even walk up. I have only ever head of people driving down that road, and no one twice.
Was it that steep 19 years ago when the question was asked?
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
rockc12000
I always "assumed" one in San Francisco-but I also have parked with first boyfriend in 80s up some streets to dead ends in Bell Co., ky, that had to be 45 degrees! I-75 from Knoxville to London is DAMN high "climb" for an interstate; hwy 30 in owsley county from Booneville to Onedia is 30 degrees with "hairpin loops" 15 mph is speed limit-and that is too fast!
rdc
I-40 West, approach Asheville, NC, is about a 12% grade, isn't it?
Larry Sheldon
2018-05-13 04:58:21 UTC
Post by rdc
Post by rockc12000
any nominations for the steepest grade on the various classes of road?
i don't mean "what's the regulation or design specs?", but what's the
steepest road that's open to traffic?
interstate, US hwy, state, etc.
--bruce cridlebaugh
I always "assumed" one in San Francisco-but I also have parked with
first boyfriend in 80s up some streets to dead ends in Bell Co., ky,
that had to be 45 degrees! I-75 from Knoxville to London is DAMN high
"climb" for an interstate; hwy 30 in owsley county from Booneville to
Onedia is 30 degrees with "hairpin loops" 15 mph is speed limit-and
that is too fast!
I-40 West, approach Asheville, NC, is about a 12% grade, isn't it?
Old Priest's Grade is 17% and closed to some modern vehicles, I thing.

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/4523876-151/closures-planned-for-notoriously-steep-old-priest-grade
--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal