US towns named after foreign cities
brink
2006-07-05 07:31:00 UTC
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA

others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)

brink
anon
2006-07-05 11:33:55 UTC
Athens, TN
Memphis, TN
Paris, TN
SP Cook
2006-07-05 11:39:18 UTC
Post by brink
Athens, GA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
The naming of American college downs after Athens, Oxford, and
Cambridge is pretty frequent.

Athens, GA (Univesity of Georgia)
Athens, OH (Ohio University)
Athens, WV (Concord College)
Oxford, MS (Univesity of Mississippi)
Cambridge, MA (Harvard State and MIT)

BTW, in the historical illiteracy department, the old Athens, WV HS was
the Athens Trojans.

SP Cook
SteveWilliamsDTM
2006-07-05 12:19:41 UTC
Fellow Road Enthusiasts,

Here are a few more for you...

Cairo, GA (pronounced KAY-row)
Cairo, IL
Sparta, GA
Bethlehem, GA

Steve Williams, KC4AZO :)
Atlanta, GA
Blogmaster, "The Georgia Road Geek"
http://www.georgiaroadgeek.com
Post by SP Cook
Athens, GA
SP Cook
James Robinson
2006-07-05 13:28:24 UTC
Post by brink
And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to
corner the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New York,
as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in the state.
As a start, here are some of the more obvious ones:

Albany
Rochester
Syracuse
Utica
Rome
Dunkirk
Massena
Amsterdam
Berlin
Hampton
Southampton
Selkirk
Hempstead
Babylon
Brooklyn
Huntington
Troy
Scarborough
Westchester
Waverly
Nassau
Cadiz
Cairo
Bangor
Chris Wilson
2006-07-05 13:59:53 UTC
Post by James Robinson
Albany
Rochester
Syracuse
Utica
Rome
Dunkirk
Massena
Amsterdam
Berlin
Hampton
Southampton
Selkirk
Hempstead
Babylon
Brooklyn
Huntington
Troy
Scarborough
Westchester
Waverly
Nassau
Cadiz
Cairo
Bangor
You forgot Ithaca, unless that was mentioned before...

The only one I can think of at hand is Madrid, MS.
Nathan Perry
2006-07-06 18:43:17 UTC
Post by James Robinson
Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New York,
as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in the state.
Albany
Rochester
Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for Nathaniel
Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that New York is
named for.
Post by James Robinson
Brooklyn
Brooklyn is modified Dutch for "broken land".
Post by James Robinson
Nassau
Nassau is named for a person, or more generally a house of nobility.
James Robinson
2006-07-06 20:16:25 UTC
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by James Robinson
Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New
York, as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in
Albany
Rochester
Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for
Nathaniel Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that
New York is named for.
Yes, the Duke of Albany. However, he got that name from the ancient name
for Scotland, so I included it as a name copied from a place in the old
country.

I'll grant you the origin of Rochester. There is a Rochester in York,
England, and a number of US Rochesters are named after it. I just
guessed the same would hold for the one in New York.
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by James Robinson
Brooklyn
Brooklyn is modified Dutch for "broken land".
According to www.brooklyn.com, "Brooklyn is the anglicized form of
"Breuckelen", and is most probably named after the municipality of
Breukelen, in Utrecht province, in the Netherlands."
As with Albany, the house of nobility was named for a German state.
Mike McManus
2006-07-12 04:15:57 UTC
Post by James Robinson
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by James Robinson
Many cities are named after foreign ones. There are so many in New
York, as an example, that you would probably list 1/2 the cities in
Albany
Rochester
Neither of these are named for cities. Rochester is named for
Nathaniel Rochester, and Albany is named for the same English guy that
New York is named for.
I'll grant you the origin of Rochester. There is a Rochester in York,
England, and a number of US Rochesters are named after it. I just
guessed the same would hold for the one in New York.
The town of Rochester in England that I visited in 2003 is in Kent, a
short commuter-train ride from London. I wonder if Colonel Rochester may
have had ancestors or relatives from there; a number of surnames are
derived from place names and vice versa.
Mike McManus, Renton, WA
George Grapman
2006-07-12 17:28:27 UTC
O Street is the main street in Lincoln,Nebraska. East- west streets
are letters while north/south are numbered/ O St. divides north and
south. The local joke is to call it "zero Street".
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
k***@lycos.com
2006-07-12 19:43:28 UTC
What foreign city is named "Zero?"
George Grapman
2006-07-13 02:14:04 UTC
Post by k***@lycos.com
Post by George Grapman
O Street is the main street in Lincoln,Nebraska. East- west streets
are letters while north/south are numbered/ O St. divides north and
south. The local joke is to call it "zero Street".
What foreign city is named "Zero?"
Whoops, wrong thread. I though I was in the one about odd names for
major streets.
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Steve
2006-07-13 04:33:53 UTC
Post by k***@lycos.com
Post by George Grapman
O Street is the main street in Lincoln,Nebraska. East- west streets
are letters while north/south are numbered/ O St. divides north and
south. The local joke is to call it "zero Street".
What foreign city is named "Zero?"
Wow, at first I thought that was a challenge.
--
Steve Alpert
MIT - B.S. (Eng.) '05, M.S. (Transp.) '06
http://web.mit.edu/smalpert/www/roads
n***@gmail.com
2015-06-13 14:06:24 UTC
Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.
Kenny McCormack
2015-06-13 16:08:12 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.
New York?

Newark?

Dublin (either OH or TX)

Toledo (OH)

etc.
--
Modern Christian: Someone who can take time out
from using Leviticus to defend homophobia and Exodus
"ancient laws" that "only applies to Jews".
richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
Kenny McCormack
2015-06-14 02:42:07 UTC
Post by richard
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by n***@gmail.com
Golconda , Nevada is based on a town name from India.
New York?
Newark?
Dublin (either OH or TX)
Toledo (OH)
etc.
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.

Venice, CA

Naples, FL

Rome, GA

Athens, GA

Troy, MI
--
When people wish to comment on something on which they have personal
knowledge, but do not wish to convey the fact that it is personal
and eat a whole tub of Rocky Road ice cream.
Gary V
2015-06-14 11:41:17 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Troy, MI
Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
richard
2015-06-14 17:17:17 UTC
Post by Gary V
Post by Kenny McCormack
Troy, MI
Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
Troy, England?
Larry Sheldon
2015-06-14 17:47:10 UTC
Post by richard
Post by Gary V
Post by Kenny McCormack
Troy, MI
Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
Troy, England?
I's have guessed Turkey.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Kenny McCormack
2015-06-15 18:42:09 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
Post by Gary V
Post by Kenny McCormack
Troy, MI
Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
Troy, England?
I's have guessed Turkey.
I wonder...

Do the residents of any of these towns call themselves Trojans?
"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance." - Steve Ballmer
T.J. Higgins
2015-06-15 18:52:53 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
Post by Gary V
Post by Kenny McCormack
Troy, MI
Troy MI was named after Troy NY.
And what do you suppose Troy NY was named for?
Troy, England?
I's have guessed Turkey.
I wonder...
Do the residents of any of these towns call themselves Trojans?
Troy University, located in Troy, Alabama, uses Trojans as their
mascot.
--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
Evan Platt
2015-06-14 15:07:57 UTC
Post by richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.

Go.
richard
2015-06-14 17:21:25 UTC
Post by Evan Platt
Post by richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.
Go.
Without a doubt.
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
Larry Sheldon
2015-06-14 17:49:25 UTC
Post by richard
Post by Evan Platt
Post by richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.
Go.
Without a doubt.
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
An ancient Greek person? (My first guess was going to be "An 'Indian',
but don't know what tribe."
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Larry Sheldon
2015-06-14 17:57:39 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
Post by Evan Platt
Post by richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.
Go.
Without a doubt.
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
An ancient Greek person? (My first guess was going to be "An 'Indian',
but don't know what tribe.")
Nope. Named for "The Society of the Cincinnati" according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati

And that leads to Cincinnatus--and ancient Roman (I should have known
that) not a Greek.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
richard
2015-06-14 18:14:04 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
Post by Evan Platt
Post by richard
yeah like there only a few hundred in every state.
So you should have no problem coming up with 20 for 20 states.
Go.
Without a doubt.
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
An ancient Greek person? (My first guess was going to be "An 'Indian',
but don't know what tribe.")
Nope. Named for "The Society of the Cincinnati" according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati
And that leads to Cincinnatus--and ancient Roman (I should have known
that) not a Greek.
It's membership is open to certain chosen officers of the US military.
George Washington was the first elected presiding officer.
Cincinnatus, was a Roman senator who took control of the Roman arny for a
mere 15 days to battle a war.
Then politely resigned and went back to his farm.
John David Galt
2015-06-14 18:11:33 UTC
Post by richard
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
Cincinnati was named for the military Order of the Cincinnati, started
by General George Washington.

The order is named for Cincinnatus, a wealthy farmer during Rome's Early
Republic period, who got drafted and rose to be a successful general.
When the war was over, his men tried to get him to run for office. But
Cincinnatus said, "I fought for the glory of Rome, not my own," and went
back to his farm and stayed there.

Washington revered him and tried to do the same thing (giving a moving
farewell speech to Congress after the peace treaty was signed in 1783,
in which he resigned his commission and left public life, he hoped forever).
Evan Platt
2015-06-14 20:44:55 UTC
Post by richard
Without a doubt.
So - go.

Oh, too late. You failed already.
Post by richard
Ok smartboy know it all, what was "Cincinnati" named for?
Is there only one Cincinnati in the USA?
Why does it matter what answer I give? You'll call it false.

Just like when you seem to know what CVG stands for for the airport,
contrary to what everyone else - including the airport - says.

Go away, troll.
John Mayson
2015-06-15 03:27:05 UTC
It would be more interesting to come up with ones not of European origin.
--
John Mayson / ***@mayson.us / Austin, Texas
http://google.com/+JohnMayson
John Levine
2015-06-15 03:46:30 UTC
Post by John Mayson
It would be more interesting to come up with ones not of European origin.
We have lots of them here in New York, from native American words:

Canandaigua
Oneida
Irondequoit
Oswego
Owego
Otego
Oneonta
Schenectady
Seneca Falls
Skaneateles

We also have plenty of places named after people, like Binghamton and
Watkins Glen, and named after random other stuff like Buffalo.
T.J. Higgins
2015-06-15 14:49:40 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by John Mayson
It would be more interesting to come up with ones not of European origin.
We also have plenty of places named after people, like Binghamton and
Watkins Glen, and named after random other stuff like Buffalo.
Also pretty much anything ending in -ville: Huntsville, Guntersville,
Cartersville, etc. ad nauseum.
--
TJH
tjhiggin.at.hiwaay.dot.net
H.B. Elkins
2006-07-05 13:59:02 UTC
Post by brink
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Kentucky is full of them -- London, Paris, Athens, Versailles, Rome, and I'm
sure I could go on and on.

Same for West Virginia - Athens, Vienna, etc.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Michael G. Koerner
2006-07-05 14:26:25 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
There are oodles of them here in Wisconsin. They were likely named that by
immigrants wanting a touchstone of the 'old' country. They include:

Berlin
Brussels
Verona
Barneveld
Athens
Sussex
Cambridge (hometown of Matt Kenseth)
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Gary V
2006-07-05 14:30:31 UTC
How about Marne, MI? It was originally Berlin (thus the location of
the Berlin Speedway), but dropped that one in a frenzy of wartime
fervor. Picking up another German, but presumably less offensive, name
in the process.
w***@aol.com
2006-07-05 18:52:02 UTC
Post by Michael G. Koerner
Post by brink
[...]
Here's a few more:

Rio
Namur
Lublin
Palmyra
Hebron
Steuben
Stockholm

Uppsala MN
Montevideo MN
New Prague, MN
Padua, MN
Oslo, MN
New Berne, MN
Post by Michael G. Koerner
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
brink
2006-07-05 20:04:04 UTC
Post by w***@aol.com
Montevideo MN
Good one! I remember seeing signs for that growing up in Minnetonka. If I
remember correctly, there were mileage signs for it out west on Highway 7.
I thought it sounded so strange as I took the "video" portion literally.

Do they pronounce it the Spanish way (MON-tay-vee-DAY-oh) or the, um,
Minnesotaized way (MON-tuh-VID-ee-oh)?

My guess would be the latter. ;-) It's the way I always pronounced it in
my head when I saw the signs as a kid.

brink
k***@lycos.com
We have one here named Blockbustervideo.
t***@hotmail.com
2006-07-05 15:53:33 UTC
In Texas, besides Paris:
Bogata (for Bogota but misspelled after it's founding, and locally
pronounced 'Buh-GO-tuh')
Odessa
Potosi (for San Luis Potosí in Mexico, which itself comes from the
Potosí area in Bolivia)

Others, like-named, but origin unknown or not directly attributable to
foreign cities:
Athens
Carthage
Florence
London
Memphis
Moscow
Naples
w***@gmail.com
2006-07-05 16:37:21 UTC
I don't think Kansas or Nebraska is the place where there is the
highest prevalance of European place names. In the case of the Plains,
the names were often used to attract people from elsewhere to move
there, with the idea that one day, Paris, Kansas, and Paris, France,
would be indistinguishable. (I suppose Paris, Kansas, has a Wal Mart,
where Paris, France, does not.)

Almost every town, county, and city in the Northeast is named after a
foreign town or city, or county.

Massachusetts, for example:

Counties

Suffolk
Norfolk
Essex
Middlesex
Worcester
Plymouth
Hampshire
Hampden
Berkshire
Barnstable
Bristol

Basically, all except Dukes, Nantucket, and Franklin

Towns

Abington
Acton
Amesbury
Andover
Ashland
Attleborough
Auburn
Avon
Ayer
Barnstable
Bedford
Bellingham
Berlin
Beverly
Billerica
Blandford
Bolton
Boston
Bourne
Boxborough
Boxford
Braintree
Brewster
Bridgewater
Burlington
Cambridge
Carlisle
Charlton
Chatham
Chelmford
Chelsea
Chesire
Chester
Chesterfield
Dartmouth
Dedham
Dover
Dunstable
Duxbury
Eastham
Easthampton
Easton
Essex
Falmouth
Foxborough
Framingham
Gloucester
Grafton
Granby
Great Barrington
Halifax
Hardwick
Harwich
Haverhill
Hingham
Hull
Ipswich
Kingston
Lancaster
Leicester
Leominster
Lincoln
Lynn
Lynnfield
Malden
Manchester
Marion
Marlborough
Maynard
Medfield
Medford
Medway
Melrose
Mendon
Milford
Needham
Newbury
Newton
Norfolk
Northampton
Oxford
Pelham
Plymouth
Raynham
Reading
Rehoboth
Richmond
Rochester
Salisbury
Sheffield
Sherborn
Shrewsbury
Somerset
Southampton
Sterling
Stockbridge
Stow
Sturbridge
Sudbury
Swansea
Taunton
Uxbridge
Waltham
Wareham
Warwick
Westminster
Weston
Weymouth
Winchester
Woburn
Worcester
Yarmouth
Naples
Banjomax
2006-07-08 15:45:44 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
I don't think Kansas or Nebraska is the place where there is the
highest prevalance of European place names. In the case of the Plains,
the names were often used to attract people from elsewhere to move
there, with the idea that one day, Paris, Kansas, and Paris, France,
would be indistinguishable. (I suppose Paris, Kansas, has a Wal Mart,
where Paris, France, does not.)
Almost every town, county, and city in the Northeast is named after a
foreign town or city, or county.
I'd say close to half of the place names in Vermont have their origins
in place names on the other side of the Atlantic (Athens, Montpelier,
Westminster, etc.), though many are named for early settlers
(Chittenden, Bennington, Brattleboro, etc.). In looking into this, I
discovered that the naming of Jamaica VT has no relation to the island
of the same name, but is derived from a native (Natick) word for beaver.
Peru VT was named for the South American country, however. Peru was
originally named Bromley, which residents in the early 1800s associated
with a poverty stricken place. Peru was chosen as the new name as it
was associated with wealth at the time.
--
Banjo
W Brattleboro VT
Pete from Boston
2006-07-05 17:54:00 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Most likely because either 1) Europeans settled there directly, or 2)
people from the East, whose towns were largely settled by people who
moved from Europe directly, relocated there, bringing names from home
with them.

The so-called "Classical Revival" of the early 19th Century likely gave
rise to a large number of towns being called Athens, Sparta, Troy, etc.
SteveWilliamsDTM
2006-07-05 18:07:50 UTC
Forgot one...

Brunswick, GA, is English for Braunsweig, the German hometown of
Britain's King George II (Georgia's namesake).

Scott M. Kozel
2006-07-05 23:26:35 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Moscow, PA

Virginia --

Alexandria
Dublin
Glasgow
Gloucester
Hampton
Paris
Petersburg
Portsmouth
Vienna
Warsaw
Woodbridge
--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com
Timothy J. Lee
2006-07-05 23:26:35 UTC
How about places with "New" prepended? E.g.

New York
New Orleans
New Madrid
New Rome
Timothy J. Lee
k***@lycos.com
2006-07-05 23:31:03 UTC
Post by Timothy J. Lee
How about places with "New" prepended? E.g.
New York
New Orleans
New Madrid
New Rome
Indeed, since in many cases they were specifically named for the "old"
ones, particularly New York (for the Duke of York).

New Orleans as well.
Stephen Dailey
2006-07-06 01:36:30 UTC
In Washington:

Aberdeen
Bingen
Colchester
Kent (well, OK, actually a county)
Manchester
Medina
Newcastle
Odessa
Toledo

Vancouver doesn't really count as it predates Vancouver, BC by about 30
years.

===
Steve
Shoreline, Washington USA
***@seanet.com
5 Jul 2006, 1835 PDT
k***@lycos.com
2006-07-06 03:20:18 UTC
Post by brink
others?
Genoa CO
Pat O'Connell
2006-07-06 03:40:58 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
brink
Indiana:

Peru PEEROO (named for the country), Versailles, Bedford, North
Manchester, Frankfort, Hanover (both Anglicized) maybe Vincennes.

New Mexico:
Madrid, Carlsbad, Cuba (named for the country of course)
--
Pat O'Connell
[note munged EMail address]
Kill nothing but vandals...
Nathan Perry
2006-07-06 18:34:09 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Probably because they pick European cities you've heard of. In the
Northeast, many towns are named after settler's homes across the ocean,
which could be any old small hamlet.

Otherwise: Copenhagen, Lisbon, Madrid, Cairo, Paris, Rome, Athens,
Syracuse, Rotterdam, Berlin are all places in NY.
Ozark Trail
2006-07-07 01:28:04 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
Cairo, IL
Athens, TX
Michael G. Koerner
2006-07-07 04:26:01 UTC
Post by SteveWilliamsDTM
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
Cairo, IL
Athens, TX
I also just remembered:

Kiel, WI
Dorchester, WI
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Michael Angelo Ravera
2015-06-15 20:24:31 UTC
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
brink
Almost *EVERY* decent sized city in the costal California from the Marin headlands down to San Ysidro that was founded under Spanish or Mexican rule shares a name with a city in Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Central or South America, or Texas (that was a separate country at the time of the naming). Whether the California city was named after the other or named independently isn't always clear.
San Jose, Costa Rica, Baja Califronia
San Juan (Bautista), Puerto Rico
San Luis (Obispo), Mexico
Santa Cruz, Canary Islands
Monter[r]ey, Mexico
San Martin, Caribbean
... and that is just large and large.

... in addition, there are Bagdad, Mecca, and Medina in the California desert.
a***@gmail.com
brink
John Levine
2016-03-03 18:04:47 UTC
Gee, if you'd only waited a few more months to reply, you could have
broken the decade mark.
Arif Khokar
2016-03-04 03:45:24 UTC
Post by John Levine
Gee, if you'd only waited a few more months to reply, you could have
broken the decade mark.
What is up with these posters who reply to posts in threads that are
years, if not over a decade old? Do they not pay attention to the date
of the post they're replying to?

Why not just start a new thread instead?
John David Galt
Because they don't have a real newsreader. They have Google Groups.
a***@gmail.com
Cairo, Syracuse, Bath, Rome, Ithaca,
a***@gmail.com
brink
a***@gmail.com
What about all these cities in New York State? Cairo, Bath, Ithaca, Syracuse, Rome, Alexandria, Amsterdam, Athens, Berlin, Bombay, Delhi, Dunkirk, Edinburg< Florence, Frankfort, Genoa, Ghent, Jerusalem, Lisbon, Madrid, Malta, Manchester, Naples, Ontario, Oxford, Perth, Salem, Sidney, Stockholm, Venice, Verona and Warsaw. Might have missed a few.
b***@gmail.com
2017-02-27 01:19:11 UTC
Baghdad, KY
Versaillles, KY
Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
Paris, KY

And that's just off the top of my head.
brink
John Levine
2017-02-27 04:53:40 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Baghdad, KY
Versaillles, KY
Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
Paris, KY
And that's just off the top of my head.
Are those new since the guy asked that question ten years ago?
brink
H.B. Elkins
Larry Sheldon
2017-03-03 03:33:18 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Baghdad, KY
Versaillles, KY
Frankfort, KY (Frankfurt)
Paris, KY
And that's just off the top of my head.
Post by brink
Paris, TX
.
.
.
Post by H.B. Elkins
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by brink
York, PA
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
Lots of the North American Continent was "settled" by groups of people
from somewhere else that tended to name the new settlements after the
places they had escaped-from.

Others used the names the preceding occupants had used.

In these and other cases the oral names got butchered by illiterates,
particularly illiterate map-makers, and bureaucrats.

Near here is a town spelled "Norfolk" but pronounced "North Fork"
because that is the settlers used in spite of the government surveyors
who had a better idea.
--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal
r***@gmail.com
2017-03-02 17:37:04 UTC
Mt. Carmel, IL

New Lebanon, IL

Palestine, IL

Cairo, IL
e***@gmail.com
Athens, OH
John Levine
2017-05-03 18:40:53 UTC
It's nice to know that someone's finally following up on this vital
topic after only 11 years.
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by brink
others? And why do states like Iowa and Nebraska seem determined to corner
the market on naming towns after European cities? ;-)
There's dozens of them here in upstate New York. I sent a note about
it a while ago.
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by brink
Paris, TX
Moscow, ID
Naples, FL
Venice, CA
Rome, GA
Florence, CO
Mecca, CA
Edinburgh, IN
Ayr, NE
Lisbon, MD
St Petersburg, FL
Berlin, NJ
Frankfort, IL
Hamburg, IA
Athens, GA
Madrid, IA
Amsterdam, NY
York, PA
brink
Lebanon, OR
Athens, OH
e***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 16:30:26 UTC
I have three:

Edinburgh, KS
Philadelphia, PA
Alexandria, LA

Oh, does New York City count? (York, England)
Kenny McCormack
2017-05-05 17:18:58 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Edinburgh, KS
Philadelphia, PA
Alexandria, LA
Of these 3, the one that jumps out is, of course, Philadelphia.
It never occurred to me that that might be a foreign city name.

Googling led me to: https://www.behindthename.com/name/philadelphia
which says:

From the name of a city in Asia Minor mentioned in Revelation in the New
Testament.
--
Amazingly, it's beginning to look like W is the smart one.

But Jeb will still be the nominee (seriously, who else can/could it be?)
NAK
Aleppo, PA
rdc
2017-07-14 00:59:29 UTC
Post by NAK
Post by brink
[...]
Maryland: Salisbury, Cambridge, Chester[town], Berlin, Aberdeen,
Manchester, Winchester, Hampstead, St. James, Midlothian, Frederick,
Glen Burnie, Lothian, Waldorf, Scotland, St. Marys City.

Delaware: Glasgow, Nassau, Lincoln, Dover, Smyrna, Bombay Hook, Newark.

New Jersey: Avalon, Salem, Gloucester, Camden, Evesham, Hanover,
Manchester, Windsor, Brunswick, Holland, Bethlehem, Alexandria,
Lebanon, Chester, Bedminster, Newark, Jersey City, Orange, Dover,
Frelinghuysen, Sparta, Hamburg, Sussex.