Trucks on US 52 in Virginia
Craig Zeni
2009-05-20 13:02:48 UTC
I drove down from Hillsville, VA to Mount Airy, NC yesterday on US 52.
Heavily signed at the top of the hill prohibiting through trucks over 8
tons gross and directing them over to I-77. But I saw three UPS rigs
heading uphill...cabs pulling twin trailers. And another one sitting
the parking lot of a greasy spoon at the bottom of the hill. I-77 is
obviously a better road, it's not under construction (or wasn't when I
went up 24 hours earlier), and 511 didn't report any accidents on I-77.

Why were the UPS trucks on US 52?
richard
2009-05-20 14:29:48 UTC
Post by Craig Zeni
I drove down from Hillsville, VA to Mount Airy, NC yesterday on US 52.
Heavily signed at the top of the hill prohibiting through trucks over 8
tons gross and directing them over to I-77. But I saw three UPS rigs
heading uphill...cabs pulling twin trailers. And another one sitting
the parking lot of a greasy spoon at the bottom of the hill. I-77 is
obviously a better road, it's not under construction (or wasn't when I
went up 24 hours earlier), and 511 didn't report any accidents on I-77.
Why were the UPS trucks on US 52?
Do they have a terminal in that section or are there any major
businesses they might be going to?
Generally speaking, those kinds of signs are there mainly to
discourage non-local truckers from using the road.

I've been on many so called "8 ton" roads and I've always questioned
that since there are major businesses that have heavy truck traffic on
that road daily. Then you have to ask, how come it's rated at "8 tons"
and a US highway? Don't make sense.

I've also come across bridge clearances marked wrong in the road
atlas. Like with the roads, these markings discourage truckers who are
not familiar with the area to "stay out".

As I have been on I-77 many times, I can't say that I've seen all that
many UPS doubles in the area of fancy gap.
allniter
Larry Sheldon
2009-05-20 15:53:06 UTC
Post by richard
Post by Craig Zeni
[...]
If the trucks are going o Winston-Salem, US 52 is way shorter.

Do the signs "prohibit" or "advise"? "registered gross" or "gross"?

My 4-yr old MC atlas does not show any restrictions on US 52.

I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
--
Requiescas in pace o email Two identifying characteristics
of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml
Larry Sheldon
2009-05-20 16:01:13 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
If the trucks are going o Winston-Salem, US 52 is way shorter.
Do the signs "prohibit" or "advise"? "registered gross" or "gross"?
My 4-yr old MC atlas does not show any restrictions on US 52.
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
Interesting. The MCA shows US 52 to be a "designated route" to the
border in North Carolina, but not from the border to Fancy Gap in
Virginia--you'd have to take I74 over to I77.

http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml
richard
2009-05-20 16:12:24 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:01:13 -0500, Larry Sheldon
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by Larry Sheldon
If the trucks are going o Winston-Salem, US 52 is way shorter.
Do the signs "prohibit" or "advise"? "registered gross" or "gross"?
My 4-yr old MC atlas does not show any restrictions on US 52.
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
Interesting. The MCA shows US 52 to be a "designated route" to the
border in North Carolina, but not from the border to Fancy Gap in
Virginia--you'd have to take I74 over to I77.
Don't forget that there are more than one types of "truck".
Then each state can have multiple designators for each route.
Such as in Illinois which has 3 classes.

What gripes me is, like in Wisconsin, counties may restrict trucks
based on weight and size then don't post the restrictions. So how is
someone not familiar with the area to know these things?

Then MCA's never post weight limits on roads. Let alone bridges on
designated truck routes which have lower ratings than the roads.
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-20 19:54:31 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
You forget about the new section of I-74, that provides a full freeway link
between I-77 and US 52. It's faster than US 52 because of the traffic lights
along the Mt. Airy bypass, and is a better road than getting off I-77 at either
US 58/221 or VA 148 and taking US 52 south to the state line.

Last time I was going to that area I took US 52 mainly out of nostalgia,
recalling a family vacation on which we took that route in the early 1980s, but
otherwise I'll take I-74 to I-77.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Premier Bush
2009-05-21 00:48:37 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
Post by Larry Sheldon
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it
looks to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston,
that US 52 is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
You forget about the new section of I-74, that provides a full
freeway link between I-77 and US 52. It's faster than US 52 because
of the traffic lights along the Mt. Airy bypass
Is that road really called the Andy Griffith Parkway? If so it would be a
good place to drive my 62 Galaxie 500.
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-21 01:14:03 UTC
Post by Premier Bush
Is that road really called the Andy Griffith Parkway? If so it would be a
good place to drive my 62 Galaxie 500.
http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2007_October/Pages/266.html

Start here and work you way through the photos for the approach to Fancy Gap and
the downhill slide into Tar Hole country. (Sorry you UNC fans...)

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2007_October/Pages/277.html answers your question
in the affirmative.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
SP Cook
2009-05-21 10:52:27 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
Post by Larry Sheldon
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
You forget about the new section of I-74, that provides a full freeway link
between I-77 and US 52. It's faster than US 52 because of the traffic lights
along the Mt. Airy bypass, and is a better road than getting off I-77 at either
US 58/221 or VA 148 and taking US 52 south to the state line.
You are correct. This is just another part of the disservice that
motorists receive from the whole "I-74 73" stupidity. A motorist
trying to get to Winston-Salem from Charleston has to take 77 south,
until 74 east, then US 52. But will come upon US 52 directly 25 miles
earlier.

How much better if "I-74" were "I-177" from I-77 to I-40 and the whole
rest of the idea were simply scrapped and kept their US numbers.

Also it seems to me that many truckers (and others) are simply
following GPS devices without paying any attention to signage. The
recent construction of US 35 in my area has convinced me of this.
About 1/2 of the truckers and many motorists still use the old route,
which is grossly inferior and dangerous, despite brand new signage
telling them the route.

SP Cook
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-21 12:47:11 UTC
Post by SP Cook
How much better if "I-74" were "I-177" from I-77 to I-40 and the whole
rest of the idea were simply scrapped and kept their US numbers.
Some of the "split" Interstate routes (such as I-76) make sense. But I-74? This
route will never be built in Ohio or West Virginia. WV may improve or relocate
US 52 but it won't be an interstate. Virginia doesn't have to build anything,
just slap signs up along I-77, so what's the use? And by the time you get to
North Carolina, you're probably further south of Cincinnati than you are east,
so a "split" east-west route doesn't make sense. From what I understand US 52
needs improvements to bring it up to modern interstate standards (it's certainly
more modern than, say, parts of I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, PA) so
why not call the existing new freeway between 77 and 52 "Spur I-77?"

Or why not put US 52 on the interstate between Wytheville and the current 77-74
split and renumber the old US 52 as an alternate route?
Post by SP Cook
Also it seems to me that many truckers (and others) are simply
following GPS devices without paying any attention to signage. The
recent construction of US 35 in my area has convinced me of this.
About 1/2 of the truckers and many motorists still use the old route,
which is grossly inferior and dangerous, despite brand new signage
telling them the route.
Perhaps they are trying to avoid that God-awful backup in Winfield? The shunting
of traffic to WV 34 between the end of the existing four-lane and Winfield
causes terrible backups at the traffic light where you have to turn left to stay
on US 35 north.

Any word on when the rest of 35 will be open? I won't be back up there until the
12th, the night before the meet I'm having in Charleston, so I won't be able to
finalize the tour itinerary until I know whether or not the entire new route
will be open.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
SP Cook
2009-05-22 11:04:19 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
Perhaps they are trying to avoid that God-awful backup in Winfield? The shunting
of traffic to WV 34 between the end of the existing four-lane and Winfield
causes terrible backups at the traffic light where you have to turn left to stay
on US 35 north.
They get that either way. If heading towards Ohio, before the
construction, the GPS (and correct) route was not to exit at US 35
(Exit 44), but rather to remain on the interstate to WV 34 (Exit 39)
and then take 34 to the afformentioned left turn. Now the appropriate
deal is to take Exit 40, which is clearly signed US 35 and carries a
control city of Point Pleasant. Truckers, and other, will drive right
by that signage to still take Exit 39.
Post by H.B. Elkins
Any word on when the rest of 35 will be open? I won't be back up there until the
12th, the night before the meet I'm having in Charleston, so I won't be able to
finalize the tour itinerary until I know whether or not the entire new route
will be open.
Its done, except for some tie in work at what will be the north end.
Siganage and all. Currently its just closed with some orange tape
when the minor side roads cross it. Its a matter for the
politicians. Despite being in different parties, our governor and our
congresswoman are very close politically, as were their fathers. Its
a matter of getting their schedules together for the PR (and BS)
ribbon cutting.

SP Cook
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-22 13:20:42 UTC
Post by SP Cook
They get that either way. If heading towards Ohio, before the
construction, the GPS (and correct) route was not to exit at US 35
(Exit 44), but rather to remain on the interstate to WV 34 (Exit 39)
and then take 34 to the afformentioned left turn. Now the appropriate
deal is to take Exit 40, which is clearly signed US 35 and carries a
control city of Point Pleasant. Truckers, and other, will drive right
by that signage to still take Exit 39.
OK, I thought you were referring to traffic exiting at Exit 44.
Post by SP Cook
Its done, except for some tie in work at what will be the north end.
Siganage and all. Currently its just closed with some orange tape
when the minor side roads cross it. Its a matter for the
politicians. Despite being in different parties, our governor and our
congresswoman are very close politically, as were their fathers. Its
a matter of getting their schedules together for the PR (and BS)
ribbon cutting.
How much territory does Shelley's district encompass? I've had some contact with
one of her field reps who has a lot of knowledge about the eastern panhandle and
the Corridor H-impacted area. Byrd Jr. (a/k/a Nick Rahall) has Huntington and
the southern part of the state (Welch area), right?

When I was last up there, a couple of weeks ago, traffic is forced off new US 35
northbound by some portable barricades. You can drive right up to the new road
via CR 13 (Poplar Fork) and relocated CR 32 (Tucker Branch, I think). There are
Jersey barriers in both directions where CR 19 (Hurricane Creek) crosses, but
not at the new Johnston Drive. You can get on the new road and drive all the way
back to Hurricane Creek, or in the other direction past 5 & 20 Mile Creek (CR
15) to Staves Branch (CR 24). There was where the striping ended, but I was able
to drive on to the Buffalo Bridge approach.

Hopefully the pols won't get their schedules worked out until after the 13th, so
we can see an unopened road vs. driving on an open road along with the rest of
the traffic.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
SP Cook
2009-05-22 22:03:16 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
How much territory does Shelley's district encompass? I've had some contact with
one of her field reps who has a lot of knowledge about the eastern panhandle and
the Corridor H-impacted area. Byrd Jr. (a/k/a Nick Rahall) has Huntington and
the southern part of the state (Welch area), right?
WV's three congressional districts are very gerrymandered.

Shelly's is the largest district in geographic size east of the
Mississippi. It is Kanawha (Charleston), Putnam and Mason (hence her
interst in US 35) and the three booming counties of the eastern
panhandle (Berkeley, Jefferson, and Morgan) connected together by a
thin stip of counties, never more than one county wide, but over 300
miles long, pretty much the route of the unbuilt part of Corridor H,
hence her interest in that road. Mollohan has everything north of
that (Parkersburg, Fairmont-Clarksburg-Morgantown, and the northern
panhandle (Wheeling-Weirton) along with the north edge of the Potomac
Highlands, as far east as Keyser). Rahall has Huntington, the
coalfields, and the Greenbrier valley. He is worthless.

When the Census comes around,they will have to give Rahall at least
Putnam and Mason, and maybe the tiny population of Wirt to Mollohan,
unless they decide to redo the whole state. Since Putnam, Wirt, and
Mason are GOP counties, it is assumed that Capito will take the
opertunity to run for governor, rather than fight it out in her new
smaller district.

SP COOK
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-22 22:20:57 UTC
Post by SP Cook
When the Census comes around,they will have to give Rahall at least
Putnam and Mason, and maybe the tiny population of Wirt to Mollohan,
unless they decide to redo the whole state. Since Putnam, Wirt, and
Mason are GOP counties, it is assumed that Capito will take the
opertunity to run for governor, rather than fight it out in her new
smaller district.
Like father, like daugher, eh? I still remember seeing "Don't Blame Me, I Voted
for Arch" on a great-uncle's vehicle back in the 1980s when my dad and I visited
the Mud River area of Lincoln County, where his father was from.

Where does Shelley call home? Charleston?
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
SP Cook
2009-05-23 11:44:06 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
Where does Shelley call home? Charleston?
Call would be the right word. Arch was in congress before he was
governor. She was raised in DC and then in the Governor's Mansion.
She went to Duke and UVa and got a made up job at WV State College for
which she was unqualified. Married an old money stockbroker. Ran for
the state house, and then the congress. Has a big house in the South
Hills (old money rich people) neighborhood of Charleston.

In WV politics there is what we call the "Potomac Barrier". No one
from the eastern panhandle ever can win a statewide, or near
statewide, office. IMHO, when SMC runs for governor, one party or the
other would be very wise to try to overcome that. The new map will
lean that way.

SP Cook
Larry Harvilla
2009-05-23 08:22:00 UTC
Post by SP Cook
WV's three congressional districts are very gerrymandered.
Shelly's is the largest district in geographic size east of the
Mississippi.
Not even close. Capito's WV-02 ranks 26th east of the Mississippi and
86th overall with an area of only 8,459.30 square miles; it isn't even
the biggest in West Virginia, losing to Nick Rahall's WV-03.

The winner for most land area east of the Mississippi is ME-02, which
covers almost all of the part of Maine not considered "Downeast."
Ranking second is MI-01, with the entire Upper Peninsula and parts of
the Lower Peninsula stretching as far south as Bay City. WI-07, MS-02,
and WI-03, in that order, round out the top five.
--
Larry Harvilla
e-mail: larry AT phatpage DOT org
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrysphatpage
Premier Bush
2009-05-22 00:20:24 UTC
Post by SP Cook
Post by H.B. Elkins
Post by Larry Sheldon
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it
looks to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston,
that US 52 is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
You forget about the new section of I-74, that provides a full
freeway link between I-77 and US 52. It's faster than US 52 because
of the traffic lights along the Mt. Airy bypass, and is a better
road than getting off I-77 at either US 58/221 or VA 148 and taking
US 52 south to the state line.
You are correct. This is just another part of the disservice that
motorists receive from the whole "I-74 73" stupidity. A motorist
trying to get to Winston-Salem from Charleston has to take 77 south,
until 74 east, then US 52. But will come upon US 52 directly 25 miles
earlier.
Not as bad as the US 71 corridor in AR, MO and LA. Going north from the end
of I-49, the main route is I-20, then US 71, then AR 549, then AR 245, then
I-30, then US 71, then I-540, then US 71 all the way to KC. And the non-US
71 parts of the trip cross 71 several times, and there are even US 71 signs
on I-540 at exits that lead to 71, not 71 itself. It is very confusing.
Wish they'd go ahead and sign all the freeway segments as I-49 and the
non-freeway segments as either FUTURE I-49 or TO I-49.
Post by SP Cook
How much better if "I-74" were "I-177" from I-77 to I-40 and the whole
rest of the idea were simply scrapped and kept their US numbers.
If NCDOT is so hell-bent on the 73-74 numbering, they should go ahead and
sign I-74 along the US 52 freeway to I-40 and along I-40 to the other
section of I-74. The road is a freeway, and to 99.9% of motorists (and even
a high percentage of road enthusiasts) don't care that the shoulders aren't
wide enough or whatever the deficiency is on US 52 that causes it to not
meet I-standards. And if AASHTO doesn't approve, then pull a 'US 377' and
sign it anyway. Or at least "TO I-74" or "FUTURE I-74" which NC is so fond
of. The road is eventually going to be I-74, so why not go ahead and change
the name of the road now? Get the confusion out of the way sooner rather
than later.
Post by SP Cook
Also it seems to me that many truckers (and others) are simply
following GPS devices without paying any attention to signage. The
recent construction of US 35 in my area has convinced me of this.
About 1/2 of the truckers and many motorists still use the old route,
which is grossly inferior and dangerous, despite brand new signage
telling them the route.
I'm starting to believe that GPS units are turning the country into
navigational idiots. It was bad enough before these damn boxes came along.
Sometimes somebody will be coming over and instead of directions, they just
ask for my address. When often times it would be much easier to just give
directions.
Pete Jenior
2009-06-04 01:00:40 UTC
Post by Premier Bush
If NCDOT is so hell-bent on the 73-74 numbering, they should go ahead and
sign I-74 along the US 52 freeway to I-40 and along I-40 to the other
section of I-74. The road is a freeway, and to 99.9% of motorists (and
even a high percentage of road enthusiasts) don't care that the shoulders
aren't wide enough or whatever the deficiency is on US 52 that causes it
to not meet I-standards. And if AASHTO doesn't approve, then pull a 'US
377' and sign it anyway. Or at least "TO I-74" or "FUTURE I-74" which NC
is so fond of. The road is eventually going to be I-74, so why not go
ahead and change the name of the road now? Get the confusion out of the
way sooner rather than later.
What has AASHTO approved so far with regard to I-73 and I-74? Everything
that is signed?
Post by Premier Bush
Post by SP Cook
Also it seems to me that many truckers (and others) are simply
following GPS devices without paying any attention to signage. The
recent construction of US 35 in my area has convinced me of this.
About 1/2 of the truckers and many motorists still use the old route,
which is grossly inferior and dangerous, despite brand new signage
telling them the route.
I'm starting to believe that GPS units are turning the country into
navigational idiots. It was bad enough before these damn boxes came
along. Sometimes somebody will be coming over and instead of directions,
they just ask for my address. When often times it would be much easier to
just give directions.
Yes, I agree. I know people who think it is strange that I still use a
store-bought map to get somewhere instead of a GPS or google map. In most
cases I'd much rather figure out how to get there myself.

Pete
Craig Zeni
2009-05-20 21:49:05 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
Post by Craig Zeni
[...]
Grade. Twisty downhill with an interstate paralleling it a couple of
miles to the west.
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by richard
I've also come across bridge clearances marked wrong in the road
atlas. Like with the roads, these markings discourage truckers who are
not familiar with the area to "stay out".
As I have been on I-77 many times, I can't say that I've seen all that
many UPS doubles in the area of fancy gap.
If the trucks are going o Winston-Salem, US 52 is way shorter.
US 52 south of I-74 is expressway, 65 mph. North of I-74 it's either
expressway or two lane or, climbing the mountain it's two lanes with a
truck lane.
Post by Larry Sheldon
Do the signs "prohibit" or "advise"? "registered gross" or "gross"?
Here's one of the signs: http://tinyurl.com/orgsj6 courtesy of Teh
Google Maps and Streetview.
Post by Larry Sheldon
My 4-yr old MC atlas does not show any restrictions on US 52.
I don't remember of first hand knowledge using that route, but it looks
to me like if I had to go from Winston-Salem to Charleston, that US 52
is probably the way I would do it, at least to Mt. Airy.
At the bottom of the grade it's several miles of 35 and 45 mph stuff to
boot.
Premier Bush
2009-05-21 01:52:58 UTC
Post by Craig Zeni
Here's one of the signs: http://tinyurl.com/orgsj6 courtesy of Teh
Google Maps and Streetview.
Reminds me of these similar signs, in Van Buren, AR:

http://tinyurl.com/qywdgx

Here's a warning sign on I-40 telling trucks to avoid AR 59 south:

http://tinyurl.com/r5jfmx

The reason is there's a very steep hill with a sharp curve midway and a
dangerous intersection at the bottom of the hill. Sometime in the 80s, an
idiot in a truck came down this hill and ran into some buildings.
allniter
2009-05-20 14:53:09 UTC
Post by richard
Post by Craig Zeni
[...]
Retired trucker here; I believe the truck restriction is for
southbound only, probably because of the long downhill.
Froggie
2009-05-20 17:23:34 UTC
Post by allniter
Retired trucker here; I believe the truck restriction is for
southbound only, probably because of the long downhill.
That's correct. Per VDOT, the long downhill grade on southbound 52
south of Fancy Gap is restricted. Aside from that restriction, trucks
are allowed on US 52, and even combinations longer than 65ft (per
STAA, such as the twin trailers that Mr. Zeni noted) are allowed
northbound between the NC line and VA 148, and in both directions
between VA 148 and US 58/221 in Hillsville.

Froggie | Virginia Highways Project | http://www.vahighways.com
US 17/74/76/NC 133
2009-05-20 19:26:21 UTC
Post by allniter
Retired trucker here; I believe the truck restriction is for
southbound only, probably because of the long downhill.
That's correct.  Per VDOT, the long downhill grade on southbound 52
south of Fancy Gap is restricted.  Aside from that restriction, trucks
are allowed on US 52, and even combinations longer than 65ft (per
STAA, such as the twin trailers that Mr. Zeni noted) are allowed
northbound between the NC line and VA 148, and in both directions
between VA 148 and US 58/221 in Hillsville.
Froggie  |  Virginia Highways Project  |  http://www.vahighways.com
I'm actually surprised that VDOT would have constructed US 52 in a way
in which it could be restricted southbound towards Mt Airy as before
I-74 trucks would have to follow I-77 South to NC 89(I believe). How
long has the restriction existed(or basically before or after I-74's
opening)?
Scott M. Kozel
2009-05-20 23:14:57 UTC
Post by US 17/74/76/NC 133
Post by Froggie
Per VDOT, the long downhill grade on southbound 52
south of Fancy Gap is restricted. Aside from that restriction, trucks
are allowed on US 52, and even combinations longer than 65ft (per
STAA, such as the twin trailers that Mr. Zeni noted) are allowed
northbound between the NC line and VA 148, and in both directions
between VA 148 and US 58/221 in Hillsville.
I'm actually surprised that VDOT would have constructed US 52 in a way
in which it could be restricted southbound towards Mt Airy as before
I-74 trucks would have to follow I-77 South to NC 89(I believe). How
long has the restriction existed(or basically before or after I-74's
opening)?
That segment of US-52 would have been constructed by the 1940s. The
segment of I-77 that bypasses that was opened in 1977. Most likely
there were no special truck restrictions on US-52 before I-77 opened.
--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com
richard
2009-05-21 03:22:20 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2009 12:26:21 -0700 (PDT), "US 17/74/76/NC 133"
Post by US 17/74/76/NC 133
Post by allniter
[...]
That has been in effect for over 15 years I know of.
Probably since I-77 opened.

I was working with one trucking company and got sent into that area
numerous times. There is a sign on I-77 advising truckers not to use
US 52 due to that hill. I was talking about it one day with one of our
drivers and he said, "Hell, I wouldn't doubt it if Mike went down that
hill anyway". Because I had stopped somewhere just about where that
sign is, called the boss and asked him which route would be better.

Now that I-74 is open, you don't have to go way out of your way just
to avoid that hill.
gpsman
2009-05-20 17:30:20 UTC
Post by Craig Zeni
I drove down from Hillsville, VA to Mount Airy, NC yesterday on US 52.
Heavily signed at the top of the hill prohibiting through trucks over 8
tons gross and directing them over to I-77.  But I saw three UPS rigs
heading uphill...cabs pulling twin trailers.
From VA to Albermarle it's part of the "National Network".

Those were probably "advisories".

http://www.ncdot.org/it/img/graphics/NCTruckNetwork/NCTN_main.pdf
-----

- gpsman
H.B. Elkins
2009-05-20 19:50:09 UTC
Post by Craig Zeni
I drove down from Hillsville, VA to Mount Airy, NC yesterday on US 52.
Heavily signed at the top of the hill prohibiting through trucks over 8
tons gross and directing them over to I-77. But I saw three UPS rigs
heading uphill...cabs pulling twin trailers. And another one sitting
the parking lot of a greasy spoon at the bottom of the hill. I-77 is
obviously a better road, it's not under construction (or wasn't when I
went up 24 hours earlier), and 511 didn't report any accidents on I-77.
Why were the UPS trucks on US 52?
Can't answer the question as to why the trucks were on US 52, but the
prohibition is only for the southbound lane. I guess it's due to the steep
grade. There are truck escape ramps but last time I was on that route, they were
overgrown with weeds. I remember them from the early 1980s as being basically
big piles of sand.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Craig Zeni
2009-05-22 21:36:47 UTC
Post by Craig Zeni
I drove down from Hillsville, VA to Mount Airy, NC yesterday on US 52.
Heavily signed at the top of the hill prohibiting through trucks over 8
tons gross and directing them over to I-77. But I saw three UPS rigs
heading uphill...cabs pulling twin trailers. And another one sitting
the parking lot of a greasy spoon at the bottom of the hill. I-77 is
obviously a better road, it's not under construction (or wasn't when I
went up 24 hours earlier), and 511 didn't report any accidents on I-77.
Why were the UPS trucks on US 52?
I mentioned this to a buddy on the phone today..he used to work for UPS
and said that UPS tells its drivers to go up US 52 as a fuel saving
measure. Instead of a long slog up I-77, UPS feels that a short steep
climb uses less fuel...
t***@gmail.com
2018-06-15 21:20:22 UTC
Trucks are only limited to 8 tons on the decending(southbound)side of 52.
Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs
2018-06-19 21:24:29 UTC
I assumed it was due to poor road maintenance by the VDOT confederates.
H.B. Elkins
2018-06-20 17:45:27 UTC
In article <65e55766-a666-41f5-8530-***@googlegroups.com>,
Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs says...
Post by Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs
Post by t***@gmail.com
Trucks are only limited to 8 tons on the decending(southbound)side of 52.
I assumed it was due to poor road maintenance by the VDOT confederates.
No, it's because of the steep grade and the availability of a better route (I-77
and I-74) that allows trucks to bypass that grade and the city of Mt. Airy as
well. There used to be a runaway truck ramp on US 52 southbound, but it's been
allowed to revert back to nature because of the truck ban.
--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictorplate"