Road Signs for Sale?
Add Reply
N-by-Nwest
2010-04-26 14:29:59 UTC
Hello all,

Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
replace? Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
forum to buy and sell street signs?

I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
really tie it all together.

Does anybody know a good source of highway signs? In particular, I'm
looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Portland, OR
US 71
2010-04-26 15:53:34 UTC
Post by N-by-Nwest
Hello all,
Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
replace? Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
forum to buy and sell street signs?
Have you checked e-bay?

I know Arkansas "recycles" almost all of theirs (scrape them clean and reuse
them). Though I used to occasionally find stuff at the scrap yard.
Marc Fannin
2010-04-26 23:30:22 UTC
Post by N-by-Nwest
Hello all,
Does anybody know if state DOT's sell old road signs that they
replace?  Or is there perhaps a good place online or even on this
forum to buy and sell street signs?
I have tons of license plates and old travel signs for my "man cave"
and am really wanting to add some used highway signs to the walls to
really tie it all together.
Does anybody know a good source of highway signs?  In particular, I'm
looking to purchase an I-94 shield (having grown up in Wisconsin) .
Following is misc.transport.road FAQ Question 10.5; it contains
information that's four years old or more, so I can't vouch for its
authenticity anymore, but it's a start, and others can verify or
discount information.

"10.5

Q: Where can one buy road signs?

A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased at http://www.hallsigns.com/
, http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html ,
http://street.safeshopper.com/ , http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/ ,
and http://www.ringway.co.uk/ (others are listed within
http://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/
). Signs occasionally appear on eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/ ).
Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster ( http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12
) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
retired designs. See also http://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html .
Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.

Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.

Jul 18, 2006"

Marc Fannin|musxf579 @hotmail.com|http://roadfan.com/ (m.t.r FAQ, etc.)
N-by-Nwest
2010-04-27 03:25:53 UTC
A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
,http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html,http://street.safeshopper.com/,http://www.trafficsafetystore.com/,
andhttp://www.ringway.co.uk/(others are listed withinhttp://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/
). Signs occasionally appear on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/).
Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster (http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12
) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
retired designs. See alsohttp://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html.
Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.
Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.
Jul 18, 2006"
Thanks much! I'll check those out.

Nick
Jonathan L
2010-04-27 08:39:55 UTC
Post by N-by-Nwest
A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
,http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/dot/html/signs/cmsigns.html,http://stree...,
andhttp://www.ringway.co.uk/(othersare listed withinhttp://dmoz.org/Business/Transportation_and_Logistics/Traffic_Control/
). Signs occasionally appear on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/).
Finally, an occasional m.t.r poster (http://profiles.yahoo.com/usroute12
) collects orders for bulk purchase of signs with both current and
retired designs. See alsohttp://www.trafficsign.us/signpurch.html.
Note: This FAQ does not necessarily endorse any business.
Be advised that possession of road signs may be a criminal offense in
some localities, even with valid proof of purchase.
Jul 18, 2006"
Thanks much! I'll check those out.
Nick
To add to what Marc said, trying to buy a sign being taken down during
a local DOT project varies from state to state. I believe that most
DOTs are leery of doing so because of buyers potentially reselling
signs for profit, or that there are contractual obligations allowing
the construction company on the project to salvage the signs for
scrap.

There was a thread a while back (I don't remember the specifics) from
someone having inquired about buying signs being taken down during a
resigning project on the Pasadena Freeway, where it was mentioned that
Caltrans would only sell an old sign if it was going to a museum.

As for new signs, here in WA I did not have any problems ordering some
WSDOT-spec "Freeway Entrance" signs a couple of years back, from the
company that made the signs posted on the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge
(in fact, the DOT stickers on the back of the signs was how I found
their contact information). I was simply asked if they were for
private use--they were, I was working on a project codenamed "Freeway"
and thought it'd be amusing to have a few "Freeway Entrance" signs to
hang in my office and around our workspace.

-Jonathan
ctsignguy
2010-04-27 12:20:34 UTC
Post by Jonathan L
Post by N-by-Nwest
A: Good-quality road signs may be purchased athttp://www.hallsigns.com/
[...]
You can also check at AARoads Forums and SignalTraffic Forums (you
might have to register) but occasionally signs pop up for sale in
those places....
t***@gmail.com
2016-07-27 23:56:31 UTC
I work for a signing company that does DOT work we have old signs of basically any type and size let me know what u are looking for
a***@hotmail.com
2016-11-23 19:47:28 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
I work for a signing company that does DOT work we have old signs of basically any type and size let me know what u are looking for
I am looking for some unique used street signs, I bought some for scrap prices but it seems the employees take and keep the best ones for themselves.

Can you let me know what you have available, thanks

- Andrea
t***@gmail.com
2017-03-26 17:45:00 UTC
Wondering if you still have access to used DOT signs? I am looking for large sheets of aluminum, they don't have to have any recognizable signage on them.
h***@gmail.com
Portland, OR
h***@gmail.com
Portland, OR
p***@gmail.com
2017-04-03 01:38:58 UTC
A great place to get street signs for sale, sign posts, marine signs, navigational markers and construction sign is Municipal Sign & Supply of Florida https://www.municipalsigns.com/collections/street-signs-for-sale