Pennsylvania Inspection Situation
Add Reply
D.D. Palmer
2005-05-28 19:16:12 UTC
OK, I admit this is slightly offtopic, but I know you guys will know the
answer.

I just purchased a new vehicle. It was on the dealer lot for a while and the
dealer inspected it when they received it from the factory in February. In
other words, it has a Pa. State Inspection sticker that expires at the end
of February, 2006. But the license plate sticker just came and it has an
expiration date of April 2006. I know the state tries to synchronize things.
When my inspection is up in February 2006, will I have to get the vehicle
REINSPECTED gain just 2 months later?

Thanks for your input here.
MASTERNC
2005-05-28 23:43:46 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
OK, I admit this is slightly offtopic, but I know you guys will know the
answer.
I just purchased a new vehicle. It was on the dealer lot for a while and the
dealer inspected it when they received it from the factory in February. In
other words, it has a Pa. State Inspection sticker that expires at the end
of February, 2006. But the license plate sticker just came and it has an
expiration date of April 2006. I know the state tries to synchronize things.
When my inspection is up in February 2006, will I have to get the vehicle
REINSPECTED gain just 2 months later?
Thanks for your input here.
The two do not have to be synchronized IIRC and I have never heard of
anybody forced to re-inspect due to differing expiration dates of
registration and inspection. It might be a bit inconvenient but I
don't think it's illegal.

Did you get a new plate or transfer an old one? If you did transfer
and the sticker expires before the one on your old car, you should be
able to ask the dealer to change the sticker. I had that situation
when I traded in a car with a January expiration date for one that had
been inspected the September before. I went back to the dealer and
they redid the inspection stickers for free.
D.D. Palmer
Arif Khokar
2005-05-29 14:28:04 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
You are wrong. They DO have to be synchronized. It's a new plate from the
dealer.
Another reason not to live in PA. Living in WV, I have no problem with
having my registration and inspection renewal dates roughly 6 months
apart (mainly due to the timing of transferring the plates to the new
vehicle after trading in the old one).
MASTERNC
2005-05-29 18:40:20 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
You are wrong. They DO have to be synchronized. It's a new plate from the
dealer.
Well then, the dealer owes you a new sticker and an extended emission
exemption. If it is illegal, I guess a lot of dealers in this state
are breaking the law as you and I have seen. I doubt that anyone
actually enforces it though.

Case in point, a dealer put my vehicle model (M3) on the registration
form when it was supposed to list the vehicle type (wagon, sedan,
etc...). As a result, my car is registered as a station wagon instead
of a sedan. Technically, that's not legal either. However, both AAA
and an inspection mechanic said that there should be no problem keeping
it as is, especially because changing it would require $22.50 for a new
title even though the mistake is not my fault.

If you are that concerned, I would bring it up with the dealer who sold
you the car and ask them to synchronize the inspection with the
registration since they failed to do it in the first place.
D.D. Palmer
2005-05-29 20:08:26 UTC
You are missing my point entirely. I am not looking to place blame, I am
only asking if there will have to be an inspection by then end of February
2006 and another before the end of April 2006. Period. That's all I am
asking. "Who's fault" is my problem that I'll deal with. But before I look
for someone to blame, I want to be sure that there really is an issue here.
And so far no one who REALLY knows has answered. Again, my inspection
expires in Feb, 2006 but the license plate doesn't expire until April 2006.
MASTERNC
2005-05-29 20:14:48 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
You are missing my point entirely. I am not looking to place blame, I am
only asking if there will have to be an inspection by then end of February
2006 and another before the end of April 2006. Period. That's all I am
asking. "Who's fault" is my problem that I'll deal with. But before I look
for someone to blame, I want to be sure that there really is an issue here.
And so far no one who REALLY knows has answered. Again, my inspection
expires in Feb, 2006 but the license plate doesn't expire until April 2006.
I apologize as I guess I had answered the question differently. You
should not have to have two inspections. State law says that
inspections must be valid for a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 15
months. In fact, I would ask the dealer if it could issue you
inspection stickers for April 2007 when you have your car inspected
next February. A car can be inspected up to 90 days prior to its
expiration date and still have stickers issued that expire in the
original month of expiration (example being having a car with April
stickers inspected in February and still receiving new stickers with an
April expiration).
CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
2005-05-29 20:49:06 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
OK, I admit this is slightly offtopic, but I know you guys will know the
answer.
I just purchased a new vehicle. It was on the dealer lot for a while and the
dealer inspected it when they received it from the factory in February. In
other words, it has a Pa. State Inspection sticker that expires at the end
of February, 2006. But the license plate sticker just came and it has an
expiration date of April 2006. I know the state tries to synchronize things.
When my inspection is up in February 2006, will I have to get the vehicle
REINSPECTED gain just 2 months later?
I read the replies, but I'll just reply to the original since I know
the deal here. Yes, in PA, they will have to be syncronized upon
renewal. The plate expiration is what will stay the same, so you'll
need to get an April inspection sticker.

But what's been missing so far is that this is no problem at all. PA
allows you to renew your inspection sticker up to 3 months in advance.
So in Feb 2006 when your current sticker runs out, you'll automatically
get an April 2007 sticker. No problem, nobody to have to chase to make
it happen.
--
CrazyOne | "I say what it occurs to me to say
aka Greg Pacek | when I think I hear people say
Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth | things. More I cannot say."
MASTERNC
2005-05-29 21:38:00 UTC
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
I was just reading the PA legislature website and found a current bill
that would require car dealers to make sure the registration and
inspection are synchronized.

http://www2.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BT/2005/0/SB0495P0529.pdf
CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
2005-05-30 00:50:16 UTC
Post by MASTERNC
I was just reading the PA legislature website and found a current bill
that would require car dealers to make sure the registration and
inspection are synchronized.
Probably a good idea, because the current setup which I described
earlier can also screw you. When I bought my current car a few years
back (in May), it had an April sticker. I tranferred my March-expiring
plate. When I got it inspected the following April, I only got a March
inspection sticker, of course, cheating me out of a month.

Worst case would be 6 months apart, I would think. At that point you'd
really need to be demanding something from the dealer. If it's a
private party sale, though, you're pretty much stuck with what you get,
even if at next renewal you basically only get 6 months worth of
sticker.

Sometimes it could be advantageous to get a new plate rather than
transfer. In my case, for instance, since I bought at the end of May
(on Memorial Day Monday, in fact, 5 years ago tomorrow), I probably
would have gotten a June plate had I gotten a new one. If I had done
that, the following year when the April inspection expired, I would
have gotten an extra 2 months to June instead of being screwed out of
one.
Bruce Bufalini
2005-05-30 15:04:06 UTC
On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:50:16 -0400, CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Post by MASTERNC
I was just reading the PA legislature website and found a current bill
that would require car dealers to make sure the registration and
inspection are synchronized.
About 2 months ago, I noticed a bulletin (see URL below) issued by the
DMV, which states that as of January 30, 2005, inspection expirations
are no longer required to be coordinated with the registration
expiration. So, for instance, if you have a May 2005 expiration
inspection, and an October 2005 registration expiration, you should
receive May 2006 expiration stickers if you got the car inspected in
May 2005. This of course is subject to the inspecting mechanic being
aware of the new policy - my dad's truck, which didn't get driven at
all during the winter, had a November 2004 sticker which didn't get
inspected until April 2005, and he only got a 7 month inspection to
November 2005, instead of the full year to April 2006.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/inspections/Safety_Bulletin_BI05-1.pdf
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Probably a good idea, because the current setup which I described
earlier can also screw you. When I bought my current car a few years
back (in May), it had an April sticker. I tranferred my March-expiring
plate. When I got it inspected the following April, I only got a March
inspection sticker, of course, cheating me out of a month.
You could have gotten it inspected in March and gotten a full year's
inspection, or in February and gotten 13 months. In September 2001, I
transferred a June 2002 plate to a new car with August 2002 stickers,
and then during June 2002 got a 12 month inspection to June 2003.
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Worst case would be 6 months apart, I would think. At that point you'd
really need to be demanding something from the dealer. If it's a
private party sale, though, you're pretty much stuck with what you get,
even if at next renewal you basically only get 6 months worth of
sticker.
My dad encountered THE worst case scenario (3 Months) twice in the
past:

1. April 1989 inspection, July 1989 registration. He got a 3 month
inspection to July 1989, and then a full year to July 1990.

2. August 1997 inspection, November 1997 registration. He got a 3
month inspection to November 1997, and then a full year to November
1998. At least that time, the dealer who sold him the truck new in
December 1996 gave him the 3-month inspection for free.
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Sometimes it could be advantageous to get a new plate rather than
transfer. In my case, for instance, since I bought at the end of May
(on Memorial Day Monday, in fact, 5 years ago tomorrow), I probably
would have gotten a June plate had I gotten a new one. If I had done
that, the following year when the April inspection expired, I would
have gotten an extra 2 months to June instead of being screwed out of
one.
A new plate issued in May would have resulted in an April expiration
in the following year, as new registrations here in Pennsylvania
expire in the previous month of the following year. New plates issued
in January will expire in December of the same year.

-Bruce (Greensburg, PA)
--
http://www.bufs-plates.com | http://www.bufs-plates.com/windshield
http://www.bufs-plates.com/windshield/pennsylvania
ALPCA #7579 ALPCA home page: http://www.alpca.org
CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
2005-05-30 18:34:07 UTC
Post by Bruce Bufalini
My dad encountered THE worst case scenario (3 Months) twice in the
1. April 1989 inspection, July 1989 registration. He got a 3 month
inspection to July 1989, and then a full year to July 1990.
2. August 1997 inspection, November 1997 registration. He got a 3
month inspection to November 1997, and then a full year to November
1998. At least that time, the dealer who sold him the truck new in
December 1996 gave him the 3-month inspection for free.
Hm. I would have thought the worst would have to be a bit more apart.
In these cases, couldn't he have just waited until May 1, 1989 and Sept
1, 1997 and been able to get the proper following year sticker? A day
or few expired shouldn't have been a problem, and once it was into the
next month I would think getting the following year's sticker would
have been the norm.

Now, if you had said March and July or July and November, then I would
understand why he was pretty much stuck. Of course, if done too early,
even a May/July and Sept/Nov could be a problem. Lots of people do
their inspections in the month previous to the expiry, it seems. This
can be good in that you get the inspection done before a problem
happens (cracked windshield a couple weeks later, etc.) But in these
borderline situations doing it too early could actually be costly
(especially in the emissions required areas).

Indeed, I would think a good shop that's not just trying to take your
money would advise you of these pitfalls of inspection renewal.
Although if, as you say, they no longer need to match, then this will
all go away. That said, my girlfriend just got her car (purchased last
year) inspected. April 2005 inspection, June 2005 registration. Guess
what? It now has a June 2006 inspection expiry. So much for that
bulletin, eh? ;-) (Or maybe it's designed to help only when the
matching would work against you?)
Bruce Bufalini
2005-05-30 18:57:34 UTC
On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:34:07 -0400, CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
Post by Bruce Bufalini
My dad encountered THE worst case scenario (3 Months) twice in the
1. April 1989 inspection, July 1989 registration. He got a 3 month
inspection to July 1989, and then a full year to July 1990.
2. August 1997 inspection, November 1997 registration. He got a 3
month inspection to November 1997, and then a full year to November
1998. At least that time, the dealer who sold him the truck new in
December 1996 gave him the 3-month inspection for free.
Hm. I would have thought the worst would have to be a bit more apart.
In these cases, couldn't he have just waited until May 1, 1989 and Sept
1, 1997 and been able to get the proper following year sticker? A day
or few expired shouldn't have been a problem, and once it was into the
next month I would think getting the following year's sticker would
have been the norm.
In 1997, I think he already knew that he'd get it inspected for free,
but I do agree with you - easiest thing to do is just wait one extra
day until it's eligible for the full-length inspection. He might have
done that with the 1989 inspection - I really can't recall for sure.
Post by CrazyOne - Greg Pacek
[...]
Inspection expirations with months already matching the registration
sticker (or where the inspection expiration is 1 or 2 months before
the registration expiration) will still be treated the same way as
they had in the past. I got my June 2005 inspections (I'm in
Westmoreland County - an emissions testing county) performed in April,
and got June 2006 stickers. If it's a scenario where the inspection
stickers would have previously had to match the plate's sticker, and
the inspection expiration month is more than 2 months prior to the
registration month, or later than the registration month, that's where
the new policy in that bulletin would work for you.

-Bruce
GK
2005-05-30 01:48:11 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
OK, I admit this is slightly offtopic, but I know you guys will know the
answer.
I just purchased a new vehicle. It was on the dealer lot for a while and the
dealer inspected it when they received it from the factory in February. In
other words, it has a Pa. State Inspection sticker that expires at the end
of February, 2006. But the license plate sticker just came and it has an
expiration date of April 2006. I know the state tries to synchronize things.
When my inspection is up in February 2006, will I have to get the vehicle
REINSPECTED gain just 2 months later?
Thanks for your input here.
Back when I lived in PA they made you go to inspection twice a year.
Guess they've changed that since.

Over on the other side of the river in New Jersey when you buy a new car
you get a sticker good for four years. Used to be 2 years before that.
When you buy a used car you can either reinspect it or take whatever
time is left on the current sticker. The 2 don't have to be synchronized.

GK
The Chief Instigator
2005-05-30 03:37:44 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
That's one reason I'm glad I live in Texas...the inspections and registration
aren't linked, though usually a new vehicle will have an inspection a month
earlier than the plates. (New cars' original inspections are good for two
years, and then every year.)
--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (***@io.com) Houston, Texas
chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (soon to be TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)
NEXT GAME: Date/opponent/site TBA in August 2005
Chris Smolinski
2005-05-30 12:25:47 UTC
Post by The Chief Instigator
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
One reason I am glad I live in Maryland. Vehicle inspections? What
inspections?
--
---
Chris Smolinski
http://www.blackcatsystems.com
Nate Nagel
2005-05-30 17:42:26 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
Huh? The MD safety inspection is the strictest I've ever seen. I think
every car has to fail at least once otherwise the inspector doesn't
think he was doing his job. Last two cars I've had inspected were damn
near perfect (scrupulously maintained by Yours Truly) and one needed a
new windshield because it was "too sandblasted" and the other needed a
pair of horns because they "weren't loud enough." Also had to have a
car realigned once because it wasn't aligned to factory specs...
deliberately, but they were having none of it. (it drove better when it
was aligned "wrong," because the guy fiddled with the camber and toe a
bit to give me a crisper turn-in.)

Fortunately for motorists, you only have to go through it when you first
register the car... which means if you keep the same car for 20 years it
can turn into a festering POS and nobody will be the wiser. Kinda
defeats the whole purpose of the exercise though...

nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
MASTERNC
2005-05-30 23:04:46 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
That happened with my grandmother when she moved to MD from VA. We
took the car to Pep Boys for an inspection because I had a discount
there. They called the next day saying the car would fail without an
alignment and rebalancing of the tires. My grandmother claimed that
they had just had the car fixed in VA but the mechanic would have none
of it. Yes, there was some shimmering in the steering that the
alignment fixed, but that situation turned a $50 fee in to a $130
repair bill, which IMO was a sin to charge a 75-year-old woman just so
she could register her car.
Chris Smolinski
2005-06-01 11:53:53 UTC
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
Sorry, my point was that we don't have ANNUAL inspections. Just once.
And if you buy a new car, you never have to deal with an inspection.
--
---
D.D. Palmer
2005-06-02 03:25:01 UTC
It would be interesting to compare accident rates in both states as
attributed to faulty cars. It might be tough to measure the effectiveness of
annual inspections. My guess is that they DO NOT help prevent accidents much
and are really just a gift from the politicians to the car repair shops to
get people in regularly. But I do like having my vehicle gone over once a
year myself for piece of mind.
p***@gmail.com
2017-10-01 01:38:29 UTC
If i bought a used car with good inspection stickers do i need to get it inspected again
Nate Nagel
2005-05-30 17:44:52 UTC
Post by GK
Post by D.D. Palmer
[...]
That was a few years ago, I do remember that, there used to be letters
for the various inspection groups and it was twice a year. That's been
changed, they use month stickers like many other states and the
inspection is good for a whole year now although they have added
emissions testing in some areas.

nate
Bruce Bufalini
2005-05-30 20:34:38 UTC
Post by Nate Nagel
Post by GK
Back when I lived in PA they made you go to inspection twice a year.
Guess they've changed that since.
Over on the other side of the river in New Jersey when you buy a new car
you get a sticker good for four years. Used to be 2 years before that.
When you buy a used car you can either reinspect it or take whatever
time is left on the current sticker. The 2 don't have to be synchronized.
GK
That was a few years ago, I do remember that, there used to be letters
for the various inspection groups and it was twice a year. That's been
changed, they use month stickers like many other states and the
inspection is good for a whole year now although they have added
emissions testing in some areas.
nate
The old semi-annual Pennsylvania inspections used numbers 1 through 4.
If the car's VIN ended with an odd number, it got 1 and 3 stickers,
and cars with even numbered VINs received 2 and 4 stickers. The
expirations for 1, 2, 3 and 4 stickers were October 31, January 31,
April 30, and July 31, respectively. Annual inspections started in
about 1982, and have been that way ever since.

-Bruce