Is a sidewalk a part of the roadway?
richard
2015-02-21 00:01:20 UTC

Forget about the person filming video, he's a known trouble maker.
The quesiton deals with what the cop says.
"I've been to the academy and learned that the sidewalk is part of the
roadway."
If true, then why are people cited for driving on it?
Or cited if a pedestrian walks in the roadway?
The officer says Florida law says it's that way.
Can someone look that up and confirm?
jgar the jorrible
2015-02-23 17:38:37 UTC
Post by richard
http://youtu.be/uTCZkANetnA
Forget about the person filming video, he's a known trouble maker.
The quesiton deals with what the cop says.
"I've been to the academy and learned that the sidewalk is part of the
roadway."
If true, then why are people cited for driving on it?
Or cited if a pedestrian walks in the roadway?
The officer says Florida law says it's that way.
Can someone look that up and confirm?
The sidewalk is technically part of the road. The roadway is designed primarily for vehicular travel (See 527 & 530 in http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=00001-01000&file=100-680 ). I can only cite my own state, it is my understanding this is true in all, and generally there are some standards for road width and sidewalks. You'll have to search your own state dot and highway definitions. These definitions say who can walk or drive where. Just because something is called a road doesn't mean it's for cars. And how something is defined does not always reflect reality. The roadway happens to have been built in the wrong place in front of my house, for example, so the fire hydrant that is supposed to be next to the road is a ways off in the dirt. And the city limit is in the middle of the road, so it can be great fun telling the city or county something needs to be fixed. Another example is a beachfront street in Oceanside where whether cars can drive comes and goes arbitrarily.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.10news.com/news/car-crashes-into-pickup-mounted-on-tow-truck-022315
Michael Angelo Ravera
2015-03-02 09:38:22 UTC
Post by richard
http://youtu.be/uTCZkANetnA
Forget about the person filming video, he's a known trouble maker.
The quesiton deals with what the cop says.
"I've been to the academy and learned that the sidewalk is part of the
roadway."
If true, then why are people cited for driving on it?
Or cited if a pedestrian walks in the roadway?
The officer says Florida law says it's that way.
Can someone look that up and confirm?
In California, sidewalks may certainly be part of the "Right of Way", but are not part of the "Highway" which is the term used in the Vehicle Code for "a public road". When the CVC mentions "roadway" it is usually referring to the paved portion of the Right of Way designed for vehicular travel.

The CVC generally prohibits driving on the sidewalk (except to cross it at approximately right angles).
m***@gmail.com
2018-04-08 00:22:39 UTC
Post by richard
http://youtu.be/uTCZkANetnA
Forget about the person filming video, he's a known trouble maker.
The quesiton deals with what the cop says.
"I've been to the academy and learned that the sidewalk is part of the
roadway."
If true, then why are people cited for driving on it?
Or cited if a pedestrian walks in the roadway?
The officer says Florida law says it's that way.
Can someone look that up and confirm?
http://codes.findlaw.com/fl/title-xxiii-motor-vehicles/fl-st-sect-316-003.html

(70) Sidewalk.-- That portion of a street between the curbline, or the lateral line, of a roadway and the adjacent property lines, intended for use by pedestrians.