Proper way to pronounce "La Quinta"
a***@stphilipindy.org
2016-05-17 18:02:56 UTC
A frequent sight along the Interstate highways in the South are those 90-
foot-tall+ signs for the "La Quinta Motor Inn". They are particularly
prevalent in Texas, which I think is where the motel chain is based.
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce the name La Quinta? I've
1) The phonetic pronounciation of "la-kwin-ta".
2) "la-keen-ta"
"La KEEN TA not la queen e ta
3) "la-kee-ta"
Larry Sheldon
2016-05-18 05:43:56 UTC
A frequent sight along the Interstate highways in the South are those 90-
foot-tall+ signs for the "La Quinta Motor Inn". They are particularly
prevalent in Texas, which I think is where the motel chain is based.
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce the name La Quinta? I've
1) The phonetic pronounciation of "la-kwin-ta".
2) "la-keen-ta"
"La KEEN TA not la queen e ta
3) "la-kee-ta"
La Keenta
--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal
John Levine
2016-05-18 13:48:47 UTC
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce the name La Quinta? I've
1) The phonetic pronounciation of "la-kwin-ta".
2) "la-keen-ta"
3) "la-kee-ta"
Depends where you are. In Texas, it's la-keenta, in New Hampshire,
it's la-kwinta, pronounced to rhyme with winter. BTDT.
Ed-M
2016-05-18 16:27:55 UTC
I used to think it was "la kwinta" before I heard a radio announcement for a local one. x^)
l***@cox.net
La-keen-ta
Shawn K. Quinn
2017-01-28 15:30:42 UTC
Post by l***@cox.net
A frequent sight along the Interstate highways in the South are those 90-
foot-tall+ signs for the "La Quinta Motor Inn". They are particularly
prevalent in Texas, which I think is where the motel chain is based.
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce the name La Quinta? I've
1) The phonetic pronounciation of "la-kwin-ta".
2) "la-keen-ta"
3) "la-kee-ta"
La-keen-ta
Please note the original post was from 17 years ago.

That said I don't blame people for #1. This tends to happen when a
foreign word is crammed into English.
--
Shawn K. Quinn <***@rushpost.com>
http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com
John Levine
Maybe the answer is different now.
Kenny McCormack
2017-01-28 22:14:30 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by Shawn K. Quinn
Post by l***@cox.net
Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce the name La Quinta? I've
1) The phonetic pronounciation of "la-kwin-ta".
2) "la-keen-ta"
3) "la-kee-ta"
La-keen-ta
Please note the original post was from 17 years ago.
Maybe the answer is different now.
FWIW, I've always pronounced it (incorrectly) as #1. Not that I've ever
really had to use it in conversation; I'd say the incorrect pronounciation
was really only in my head.

But, I happened to see a commercial for the chain on TV recently, and they
do, indeed, pronounce it as #2.

P.S. I have no idea where #3 comes from.
--
Those on the right constantly remind us that America is not a
democracy; now they claim that Obama is a threat to democracy.