Jersey Barrier Art
Pete Jenior
2010-05-16 22:24:35 UTC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycstreets/sets/72157623936578562/

"The Jersey Barrier Design Initiative is a project by DOT's Urban Art
Program, and was hosted in partnership with the Mayor's Community Affairs
Unit (CAU) and New York Cares (NY Cares).

"As part of NY Cares' 16th annual "Hands On New York Day" on Saturday, April
24, more than 300 volunteers painted murals on 150 individual barriers
lining pedestrian paths and bicycle lanes in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan
and Queens.

"The painting of the Jersey barriers happened simultaneously in each borough
thanks to the help of CAU and NY Cares. Both enlisted numerous volunteers,
local neighborhood associations and corporate and civic groups to help the
artists paint onsite."

Pete
M. Hale
2010-05-16 23:50:46 UTC
Post by Pete Jenior
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycstreets/sets/72157623936578562/
"The Jersey Barrier Design Initiative is a project by DOT's Urban Art
Program, and was hosted in partnership with the Mayor's Community
Affairs Unit (CAU) and New York Cares (NY Cares).
I'll be interested to see if this prevents graffiti. I've always thought
that if you let folks paint sound walls, jersey barriers, etc like this
project it might reduce graffiti.
mkeen
2010-05-17 01:53:34 UTC
Post by Pete Jenior
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycstreets/sets/72157623936578562/
"The Jersey Barrier Design Initiative is a project by DOT's Urban Art
Program, and was hosted in partnership with the Mayor's Community
Affairs Unit (CAU) and New York Cares (NY Cares).
I'll be interested to see if this prevents graffiti.  I've always thought
that if you let folks paint sound walls, jersey barriers, etc like this
project it might reduce graffiti.
This theory has been proven successful in Clifton, NJ, for a decade or
more. Volunteers paint lively murals, usually repeating patterns in
bright colors, on most of the roadway underpasses throughout the
city. These murals are generally left untouched by vandals.

An example can be seen at
http://blacktieandflipflops.blogspot.com/2009/10/underpass-art-in-clifton-nj-bring-sense.html

M Keen
Ringwood, NJ
Rich Piehl
2010-05-17 01:59:42 UTC
Post by mkeen
Post by M. Hale
Post by Pete Jenior
[...]
A section of the flood wall in St. Louis is the site for a fairly
regular contest for graffiti type artists, as well as those known for
doing urban murals. The section used for the contest rarely gets any
kind of tagging. And some of the art is pretty amazing, especially when
you consider it was done with little or no layout and cans of spray paint.
d***@fallriverschools.org
2015-09-19 22:18:37 UTC
I'm an art teacher at an urban elementary school. I've been asked to paint the Jersey barriers. What kind of paint did you use?
Thank You
deb