Delaware River Turnpike Bridge to be closed 8 more weeks
h***@bbs.cpcn.com
2017-02-04 19:35:55 UTC
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Turnpike-bridge-to-be-closed-at-least-8-more-weeks.html
e***@gmail.com
2017-02-06 17:28:20 UTC
Why don't we post I-95 along the whole length of the Jersey Turnpike and make it the official routing? I-295 can then make a circular loop alongside the pike, around Trenton, back through Philly and Wilmington to meet the Delaware Tpk at the foot of the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

But instead the PennDOT and PA turnpike Commission are building this huge superstructure at the overcrossing of I-95 at the PA Tpk with left exits for the traffic going each way to/from I-95 Philly and the Jersey Turnpike.
John Levine
2017-02-06 17:48:03 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Why don't we post I-95 along the whole length of the Jersey Turnpike and make it the official routing?
Because after 40 years people are used to the numbering that exists now?
Post by e***@gmail.com
But instead the PennDOT and PA turnpike Commission are building this huge superstructure at the overcrossing of I-95 at the PA Tpk with left exits for the traffic going each way to/from I-95
Philly and the Jersey Turnpike.
This is just a guess, but I think it's because people who take the
Turnpike need to go to places that I-95 goes, such as Philadelphia,
and vice versa. This would not change if the signs change.

The real question is what nitwit thought that I-95 didn't need an
interchange with the Turnpike when they designed it in the 1960s.
Michael Moroney
2017-02-06 21:15:53 UTC
Post by John Levine
The real question is what nitwit thought that I-95 didn't need an
interchange with the Turnpike when they designed it in the 1960s.
It seems PA did this a few times with the Turnpike. The infamous
Breezewood, and I think there were one or two other places.
Clark F Morris
2017-02-07 02:20:09 UTC
On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:15:53 +0000 (UTC),
Post by Michael Moroney
Post by John Levine
The real question is what nitwit thought that I-95 didn't need an
interchange with the Turnpike when they designed it in the 1960s.
It seems PA did this a few times with the Turnpike. The infamous
Breezewood, and I think there were one or two other places.
There is no interchange connecting I81 to the Turnpike near Harrisburg
(you use US 11 to connect) and as I recall there is no direct
interchange between the northern extension and I81 either where they
cross somewhere south of Scranton not at the extension's terminus
north of Harrisburg.

Clark Morris
e***@gmail.com
2017-02-07 20:51:40 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by e***@gmail.com
Why don't we post I-95 along the whole length of the Jersey Turnpike and make it the official routing?
Because after 40 years people are used to the numbering that exists now?
I know, I know, becuase people would get confused. But that didn't stop CalTrans from changing Rte 11 to I-110 and Rte 110, Rte 7 to I-710, and Rte 17 to I-880.

And they're changing I-95 around Trenton to I-295 *anyway.* So just co-post I-295 with I-95 for a while and then switch I-95 over to the Jersey Turnpike?
Indeed.
John Levine
2017-02-08 12:26:37 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
And they're changing I-95 around Trenton to I-295 *anyway.* So just co-post I-295 with I-95 for a while and then switch I-95 over to the
Jersey Turnpike?
Just so we don't misunderstand, you believe that changing a few signs
will persuade zillions of people (and presumably their GPS) that they
didn't really want to go to Philadelphia, and make the PA Turnpike
bridge and the new Tpk/I-95 interchange unnecessary?

If so, wow.
e***@gmail.com
2017-02-08 22:56:14 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by e***@gmail.com
And they're changing I-95 around Trenton to I-295 *anyway.* So just co-post I-295 with I-95 for a while and then switch I-95 over to the
Jersey Turnpike?
Just so we don't misunderstand, you believe that changing a few signs
will persuade zillions of people (and presumably their GPS) that they
didn't really want to go to Philadelphia, and make the PA Turnpike
bridge and the new Tpk/I-95 interchange unnecessary?
If so, wow.
I didn't say cancel the bleedin' interchange and let the bridge fall down but there *are* alternate routes into Phila PA you know, and the GPS can handle it. 'Sides, motorists *still* need to get to Harrisburgh PA from NYC and New Jersey and there are no easy routes other than the Pike. So here's my alternate configuration of interstate routes in greater Phila PA.

1) I-95 goes right up the Jersey Turnpike.
2) I-295 takes over I-95 from north of Trenton all the way to the foot of the Delaware River Bridge south of Wilmington.
3) I-495 is co-posted with I-295 (exist 95) and I-276 to the Jersey Turnpike.
4) To eliminate any confusion, change SR-495 in Union NJ to SR-3

So to get from Lower Manhattan to Center City Philadelphia the directions are simple: Take the Holland Tunnel to 14th St Jersey City to the Jersey Turnpike Extension. Turn left at the turnpike to you get to Exit 6a: turn right at I-495/276 follow it a few miles and take left on 495 to I-295/495 and head into the city. Done!
H.B. Elkins
2017-02-09 17:05:19 UTC
I didn't say cancel the bleedin' interchange and let the bridge fall down b=
ut there *are* alternate routes into Phila PA you know, and the GPS can han=
dle it. 'Sides, motorists *still* need to get to Harrisburgh PA from NYC an=
d New Jersey and there are no easy routes other than the Pike.
If I'm in NYC or northern New Jersey and want to go to Harrisburg, I'm not
taking the Turnpike. I'm using I-78 to I-81.
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictorplate"
e***@gmail.com
2017-02-21 23:03:38 UTC
Even so, people from the Mid Jersey Shore don't have no other choice! I-195 to the Jersey Turnpike, Turnpike South to Penna. Turnpike West.