Is there a moderator to this group?
bdibar
2015-12-10 14:48:55 UTC
Hi all,
Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be very informative, now it has been hijacked.
Thanks,
Garrett Wollman
2015-12-10 16:45:16 UTC
Post by bdibar
Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be very
informative, now it has been hijacked.
No, like most USENET newsgroups, it is unmoderated. I encourage you
to complain to the Google Groups administration about the spam -- it
is being posted by another Google Groups user.

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
***@bimajority.org| repeated, than the story of a large research program
my employers. | accepted by all practitioners? - S.J. Gould, 1993
jgar the jorrible
2015-12-10 17:31:07 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by bdibar
Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be very
informative, now it has been hijacked.
No, like most USENET newsgroups, it is unmoderated. I encourage you
to complain to the Google Groups administration about the spam -- it
is being posted by another Google Groups user.
-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
Opinions not shared by| that impaled itself upon a false central assumption
my employers. | accepted by all practitioners? - S.J. Gould, 1993
In another group that has been subject to ongoing spam, I've seen that when multiple people complain, the UI comes up with a link to click on that others have complained, is it spam? But all I've ever seen is after submitting complaints, it hides the title under "this subject has been hidden" messages, then if the spammers post again under that subject, the UI shows there is a new message, but you have to unhide it to make a spam complaint about the new message. With many hidden subjects, this is even more exasperating, because you don't know which one without unhiding until you find it.

What I've never seen is google actually doing anything about the problem users. If there is some way to make that happen, please share. I can kinda understand, since removing the user, would just result in a new user, and whack-a-mole, which is worse for the non-google users who simply have a killfile. So why doesn't google have user killfiles? Have I missed something?

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.kusi.com/story/30704885/man-arrested-after-assaulting-and-carjacking-uber-driver
Larry Sheldon
2015-12-10 18:30:21 UTC
Post by Garrett Wollman
Post by bdibar
Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be very
informative, now it has been hijacked.
No, like most USENET newsgroups, it is unmoderated. I encourage you
to complain to the Google Groups administration about the spam -- it
is being posted by another Google Groups user.
I find there is little spam her with a coup;e of local filters and a
spam-aware provider.

The provider is news.individual.net, one filters discards anything wint
a comma in the Newsgroups header, the other discards anything with
"viatology" in the Subject": header or "wwtl.info" in the From: header.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Evan Platt
2015-12-11 14:30:21 UTC
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:30:21 -0600, Larry Sheldon
Post by Larry Sheldon
I find there is little spam her with a coup;e of local filters and a
spam-aware provider.
The provider is news.individual.net, one filters discards anything wint
a comma in the Newsgroups header, the other discards anything with
"viatology" in the Subject": header or "wwtl.info" in the From: header.
Oh the irony.... I didn't see the OP's post because they are on google
groups, and I find GG to be the main source of spam. So I disabled
temporarily the GG filter I have on, and retrieved the most recent 100
headers. All spam. All from GG.

Turned filter back on. All is well once again.
Arif Khokar
2015-12-11 03:59:01 UTC
Hi all, Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be
very informative, now it has been hijacked. Thanks,
I've filed multiple complaints via the Google groups web interface for
quite a few of those spam messages, but they don't seem to be doing
anything about it.

If I were you, I would just use an actual news client and view these
newsgroups through a usenet provider like eternal-september.org instead
of using Google groups. Then you would easily be able to filter out the
offending messages using the features of your newsreader. For instance,
I added rule that just removes messages from that particular email
address and I no longer see any messages from that sender.
Joe Morris
2015-12-11 04:36:47 UTC
Post by Arif Khokar
Hi all, Is there a moderator to this group? This forum used to be
very informative, now it has been hijacked. Thanks,
I've filed multiple complaints via the Google groups web interface for
quite a few of those spam messages, but they don't seem to be doing
anything about it.
If I were you, I would just use an actual news client and view these
newsgroups through a usenet provider like eternal-september.org instead
of using Google groups. Then you would easily be able to filter out the
offending messages using the features of your newsreader. For instance,
I added rule that just removes messages from that particular email
address and I no longer see any messages from that sender.
The thing is... why does anybody bother the few Usenet groups that actually
get a message here and there? Can't they move to some other platform and
leave us alone? Oh, bother
--
Joe Morris Atlanta history blog
***@gmail.com http://atlhistory.com
John David Galt
2015-12-11 20:51:08 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
The thing is... why does anybody bother the few Usenet groups that actually
get a message here and there? Can't they move to some other platform and
leave us alone? Oh, bother
This is exactly why Usenet is mostly abandoned.

There are better forums for most topics, AND they keep out the trolls.
But accepted practice on Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/part1/
mostly doesn't allow this to be done in unmoderated groups. So they rot.

I just wonder what pieces of shit like "chefchadsmith" think they've
accomplished.
H.B. Elkins
2015-12-18 17:12:56 UTC
This place has been on life support for years now. Most of the road-related discussion is now at the AA Roads Forum, www.aaroads.com/forum.
Arif Khokar
2015-12-20 05:51:45 UTC
Post by H.B. Elkins
This place has been on life support for years now. Most of the
road-related discussion is now at the AA Roads Forum,
www.aaroads.com/forum.
Has there been any consideration for moving towards hosting the content
in one or more subreddits?
H.B. Elkins
2015-12-21 18:56:24 UTC
Post by Arif Khokar
Has there been any consideration for moving towards hosting the content
in one or more subreddits?
No, I think they're quite happy hosting it on their own domain. Don't know why they would want to move it to Reddit. I can't see any advantage to doing so.

Moderation seems to be the key selling point of AA Roads, vs. the unmoderated forum here.
Arif Khokar
2015-12-22 02:54:29 UTC
On Sunday, December 20, 2015 at 12:51:47 AM UTC-5, Arif Khokar
Post by Arif Khokar
Has there been any consideration for moving towards hosting the
content in one or more subreddits?
No, I think they're quite happy hosting it on their own domain. Don't
know why they would want to move it to Reddit.
For one thing, you would get threading and the ability to up or downvote
posts.

Second, looking at the link for creating a subreddit
(https://www.reddit.com/subreddits/create), it appears that they have
the ability to restrict who can post new links/self posts. They also
have a spam filter that should also keep irrelevant content from
polluting the subreddit.
I can't see any advantage to doing so.
For one, you get exposure necessary to attract new members to the
community. A website like reddit.com is much more recognizable compared
to aaroads.com (which I had completely forgotten about until you
mentioned it earlier in the thread).
Moderation seems to be the key selling point of AA Roads,
You can do the same thing on a subreddit along with having a larger
potential audience and a bigger pool of contributers.
vs. the unmoderated forum here.
I personally prefer newsgroups myself because I'm perfectly capable of
using client side filters to filter out unwanted content, but given the
fact that hardly anyone posts in either group I used to frequent, I've
gravitated more towards commenting on sites like reddit when topics
similar to what I used to discuss in this newsgroup come up.