80+MPH States
Michael Angelo Ravera
2015-08-16 04:31:17 UTC
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it. They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
John David Galt
2015-08-16 19:29:04 UTC
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it. They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
Texas seems to come closer than most. They have one 85 mph toll road.

The other states that currently have some 80 mph are Utah and Idaho. I
don't think anybody else in the US has 85.
jgar the jorrible
2015-08-17 16:10:49 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it. They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
Texas seems to come closer than most. They have one 85 mph toll road.
The other states that currently have some 80 mph are Utah and Idaho. I
don't think anybody else in the US has 85.
I used to have a VW Westphalia camper van - the one with the twin-carb 411 engine in it. I got it up to 95 on a Texas freeway. A semi blew by me going apparently 40MPH faster. That was difficult to deal with.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.kusi.com/story/29798503/drunk-bicyclist-struck-by-tow-truck-in-pacific-beach
Wally Sevits
2015-08-24 20:34:32 UTC
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:10:49 -0700 (PDT), jgar the jorrible
Post by jgar the jorrible
Post by John David Galt
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it. They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
Texas seems to come closer than most. They have one 85 mph toll road.
The other states that currently have some 80 mph are Utah and Idaho. I
don't think anybody else in the US has 85.
I used to have a VW Westphalia camper van - the one with the twin-carb 411 engine in it. I got it up to 95 on a Texas freeway. A semi blew by me going apparently 40MPH faster. That was difficult to deal with.
I had an actual VW 411 back in 1973. I got it up to 105 on I-80 going
across Nevada back in the days of R&P.
Wally Sevits
Chief Squatting Buffalo
2015-09-26 05:56:30 UTC
Post by jgar the jorrible
Post by John David Galt
[...]
I hit 85 in a Super Beetle and it was still climbing hard when I shut it
down. I don't have any idea what year the engine was from or what size it
was because my grandfather swapped engines in most of his VWs.
j***@yahoo.com
2015-08-22 21:24:47 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it. They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
Texas seems to come closer than most. They have one 85 mph toll road.
The other states that currently have some 80 mph are Utah and Idaho. I
don't think anybody else in the US has 85.
Wyoming and South Dakota also have 80 mph.

John Brocato
Kenny McCormack
2015-08-22 22:56:54 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Texas seems to come closer than most. They have one 85 mph toll road.
The other states that currently have some 80 mph are Utah and Idaho. I
don't think anybody else in the US has 85.
Wyoming and South Dakota also have 80 mph.
John Brocato
Does there exist data on what the actual general speeds are on those roads?

Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit, does this mean that in those
places, many/most drive 90-100?
Mike Huckabee has yet to consciously uncouple from Josh Duggar.
John David Galt
2015-08-23 02:05:46 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Does there exist data on what the actual general speeds are on those roads?
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit, does this mean that in those
places, many/most drive 90-100?
Here's one study that says no:
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2838715-155/with-80-mph-zones-on-i-70
Larry Sheldon
2015-08-23 03:17:43 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by Kenny McCormack
Does there exist data on what the actual general speeds are on those roads?
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit, does this mean that in those
places, many/most drive 90-100?
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2838715-155/with-80-mph-zones-on-i-70
My personal experience, unscientifical it may be, is that on most roads
drivers seem to have a herd sense of the safe speed for that road, and
something like 80% will drive at the speed, no matter what the signs say.
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Michael Angelo Ravera
2015-08-23 14:54:11 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by John David Galt
Post by Kenny McCormack
Does there exist data on what the actual general speeds are on those roads?
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit, does this mean that in those
places, many/most drive 90-100?
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2838715-155/with-80-mph-zones-on-i-70
My personal experience, unscientifical it may be, is that on most roads
drivers seem to have a herd sense of the safe speed for that road, and
something like 80% will drive at the speed, no matter what the signs say.
If I believe you and the statement by the UDOT person quoted in the article that JD cited, it means that it mostly unsafe to post anything but the speed at which the herd drives. I think that most of us have said that something pretty much like that all along.

I would like to see deregulation of speeds in most rural areas with an advisory speed of 130 km/hr (That's pretty much 80MPH). Would it make any difference in Texas, if the speed signs were white or yellow? The answer, in Texas anyway, appears to be "Not really". There are signs all over the place that say, in effect, that advisory signs are backed by state law.

In California, there is a REAL law against driving more than 100MPH. The 65MPH and 70MPH signs do carry the force of law, but are often not enforced until about 80MPH and 85MPH respectively. Busting people for "85 in a 70" between Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd for a $75 fine (if you show up and plead guilty) doesn't make as much sense and nabbing people for 100+ where the fine (after other penalties, etc) ends up something like $1750. The latter people are menaces to the road and I will bet that you can catch enough of the menaces to justify letting the "85 in a 70" people go.
Chief Squatting Buffalo
2015-09-26 05:59:11 UTC
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
In California, there is a REAL law against driving more than 100MPH. The
65MPH and 70MPH signs do carry the force of law, but are often not
enforced until about 80MPH and 85MPH respectively. Busting people for "85
in a 70" between Utica Ave and Twissleman Rd for a $75 fine (if you show
up and plead guilty) doesn't make as much sense and nabbing people for
100+ where the fine (after other penalties, etc) ends up something like
$1750. The latter people are menaces to the road and I will bet that you
can catch enough of the menaces to justify letting the "85 in a 70" people
go.
If the road has light traffic and the vehicle is in good condition, 100 MPH
is perfectly safe. I wouldn't push it that high on a busy highway, though.
Michael Angelo Ravera
The traffic there isn't ever exactly "light", but there are no exits for 32 km. Everybody on that section of road is trying to be somewhere else!
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
2015-08-25 00:21:17 UTC
I find that people go pretty much the same speed everywhere,
namely what they feel like doing, regardless of the speed limit or the
layout of the highway. I stick to the speed limit or a little under
wherever I am. If the speed limit is 50 mph/80 kmph (such as in New York
City and other congested areas), people fly past me as if I were
standing still. If the speed limit is 55/ 88, fewer people pass me. If
the speed limit is 65/ 104, a relatively small number of people pass.
When the speed limit is 75/ 120, almost no one passes me. In Utah, when
I was doing almost 80/ 129, people were satisfied with my speed.
Arif Khokar
2015-08-25 04:07:52 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit,
There are many counter-examples that disprove the statement you made.
In fact, I posted statewide data to this newsgroup over a decade ago
that shows that drivers do not generally drive "10-20 over the speed limit."
Larry Sheldon
2015-08-25 04:21:46 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit,
There are many counter-examples that disprove the statement you made. In
fact, I posted statewide data to this newsgroup over a decade ago that
shows that drivers do not generally drive "10-20 over the speed limit."
Again. my personal experience (summarized) is that in states that set
the limits on sound engineering, the averages are from the posted limit
to 10% or so above it.

In places where tie speed limits are determined vy the budgeting
process, the average speeds will fun from the speed-limit (CIV) to 30%
above it (CNIV).
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Chief Squatting Buffalo
2015-09-26 06:00:55 UTC
Post by Kenny McCormack
Given that in most of the rest of the country, many/most people drive
someting like 10-20 over the speed limit,
There are many counter-examples that disprove the statement you made. In
fact, I posted statewide data to this newsgroup over a decade ago that
shows that drivers do not generally drive "10-20 over the speed limit."
From my experience in driving Oklahoma's turnpikes which are usually signed
at 75 MPH, most cars do that speed or less. I do the speed limit or a little
over, and I rarely get passed. I do, however, pass quite a few cars.
Chief Squatting Buffalo
2015-09-26 05:54:31 UTC
Post by Michael Angelo Ravera
I took a bus ride to my new consulting assignment in Austin. I saw a part
of the country to which I hadn't ever been (but only officially added one
state, NM). It looks as if, in Texas, on freeways at least, they post
whatever speed the engineering survey says is right and just deal with it.
They even post some 70MPH in town. Could some DOTs actually have it right?
US 75 is 70 at least as far south as its end at I-30. I don't know if I-45
is 70 or not as I haven't been down that way in a few years.