I-86 NY reference markers
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
2016-01-19 02:11:51 UTC
Pop quiz: On I-86 passing Elmira, the reference markers show which
route number?

A) 86I
B) 17
C) 14
D) None of the above
Michael Moroney
2016-01-19 03:29:05 UTC
Post by Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
Pop quiz: On I-86 passing Elmira, the reference markers show which
route number?
A) 86I
B) 17
C) 14
D) None of the above
The general practice in NY always used to be not to replace reference
markers when a route is renumbered, so I would not expect any 86I markers
except for major new construction.

Because of the non-renumbering, there were once a couple of bizarre
markers along either I-390 or (then) NY 17.

Most of 17 had 17 reference markers. I do remember a major overlap of
some other NY route and NY 17 used its reference markers. NY 14 looks
like it may be the route. I'll guess either 17 or 14.
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
2016-01-20 02:22:17 UTC
Post by Michael Moroney
Post by Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
Pop quiz: On I-86 passing Elmira, the reference markers show which
route number?
A) 86I
B) 17
C) 14
D) None of the above
The general practice in NY always used to be not to replace reference
markers when a route is renumbered, so I would not expect any 86I markers
except for major new construction.
Because of the non-renumbering, there were once a couple of bizarre
markers along either I-390 or (then) NY 17.
Most of 17 had 17 reference markers. I do remember a major overlap of
some other NY route and NY 17 used its reference markers. NY 14 looks
like it may be the route. I'll guess either 17 or 14.
We have a winner! 14. That was really a surprise when I almost
overlooked it on Sunday night.
Michael Moroney
2016-01-20 16:13:19 UTC
I don't actually know much about the Elmira area, but I do have this bit
of area roadgeek trivia.

The east end of E. Water St (NY 352) is at a standard bridge over I-86/NY
17, with ramps to the highway (Exit 56, sort of a diamond, fused with the
However, before the I-86 rebuild there was a different bridge at that
location. What was unusual about it?