I've never seen a road with as much space between opposing lanes as this
c***@gmail.com
2014-11-30 01:53:51 UTC
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@32.569283,-116.0075239,13z

Is this likely to be a world record? I've never seen anything like it, at least not in N America. Note that it is indeed signed as the same route for both lanes.
John David Galt
2014-11-30 02:11:29 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Is this likely to be a world record? I've never seen anything like it, at least not in N America. Note that it is indeed signed as the same route for both lanes.
I can't tell from the Google map how far apart the two sides are.

The record is probably the "inside out" section of I-5 in southern CA
(since the "median" extends almost around the world!)
Larry Sheldon
2014-12-01 02:03:13 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by c***@gmail.com
Is this likely to be a world record? I've never seen anything like it, at least not in N America. Note that it is indeed signed as the same route for both lanes.
I can't tell from the Google map how far apart the two sides are.
The record is probably the "inside out" section of I-5 in southern CA
(since the "median" extends almost around the world!)
That was my first thought.
--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
John Levine
2014-12-01 04:29:52 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by John David Galt
The record is probably the "inside out" section of I-5 in southern CA
(since the "median" extends almost around the world!)
That was my first thought.
If that's the criterion, there's a piece of the Autoroute 20 in
Montreal where the lanes are flipped, separated only by a couple of
railroad tracks:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Montreal,+QC,+Canada/@45.4550767,-73.6214661,798m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cc91a541c64b70d:0x654e3138211fefef?hl=en
jgar the jorrible
2014-12-01 21:45:31 UTC
Post by Larry Sheldon
Post by John David Galt
Post by c***@gmail.com
Is this likely to be a world record? I've never seen anything like it, at least not in N America. Note that it is indeed signed as the same route for both lanes.
I can't tell from the Google map how far apart the two sides are.
The record is probably the "inside out" section of I-5 in southern CA
(since the "median" extends almost around the world!)
That was my first thought.
My first thought was the part of I-8 like that, I was on on Saturday, somewheres e of san diego.

Out in the middle of nowhere in AZ, google maps directions took us off the interstate, onto a bunch of dirt roads with 3 u-turns... I don't see it doing that now, I'll scan the printout if wife hasn't recycled it yet. Near the Wal-Mart in Yuma, perhaps. Wife noted hackers could send the unwary straight to the banditos.

@John Galt, the google map has a km bar scale on the lower right.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://theweek.com/article/index/243813/8-drivers-who-blindly-followed-their-gps-into-disaster
Larry Scholnick
2015-10-09 22:22:04 UTC
Post by John David Galt
I can't tell from the Google map how far apart the two sides are.
The record is probably the "inside out" section of I-5 in southern CA
(since the "median" extends almost around the world!)
I don't buy that interpretation at all. The Median is the part that Separates the opposing directions of traffic. The Median on the crossover section of I-5 just happens to be on the opposite side than it is in most other places.

As to how far apart the two sides of MX-2D are, mark the spread on your screen, drag the map to the spread section of I-8 (which is just about due north of this section of MX-2D) and you'll find that MX-2D is a little more than twice as far apart as I-8 is. Wikipedia calls the I-8 spread 1.5 miles (2.4 km), so the MX-2D spread appears to be about 5 km.
g***@gmail.com
2015-10-03 06:45:15 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Is this likely to be a world record? I've never seen anything like it, at least not in N America. Note that it is indeed signed as the same route for both lanes.
Even though I'm a few months late on this, looks like Monteagle on I-24 in Tenn after an acid trip gone wrong!