Weird Midwest city pronunciations
e***@gmail.com
2016-03-30 17:06:44 UTC
Why is it that the Midwest has all kind of cities and towns named after
places elsewhere in the world but always pronounces them funny? For
Lima (LEE-mah), Ohio
East Palestine (PAL-a-steen), Ohio
Cairo (KAY-ro), Illinois
Peru (PEE-ru), Indiana
New Madrid (MA-drid), Missouri
Matt
I heard a new one today.
Montevideo, Minnesota. They pronounce it "monte - Vid -e-o.
Paul S Wolf PE (Ret)
2016-03-30 17:44:15 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Why is it that the Midwest has all kind of cities and towns named after
places elsewhere in the world but always pronounces them funny? For
Lima (LEE-mah), Ohio
LEE-ma is a city in Peru The pronunciation is Spanish.
The name of the town in Ohio is pronounced LIE-mah, like Lima Beans.
Post by e***@gmail.com
East Palestine (PAL-a-steen), Ohio
Cairo (KAY-ro), Illinois
Peru (PEE-ru), Indiana
New Madrid (MA-drid), Missouri
Matt
I heard a new one today.
Montevideo, Minnesota. They pronounce it "monte - Vid -e-o.
There's also Chili (CHIE-lee) New York

and, of course, Worcester (WUS-ter), Leominster (LEM-in-ster), Quincy
(QUIN-zee), and Leicester (LES-ter), Massachusetts
--
Paul S. Wolf, PE (Ret.), FITE
mailto:***@alum.wpi.edu
Fellow, Institute of Transportation Engineers
John Levine
2016-03-30 18:57:29 UTC
Ah, the elephant never forgets.

By the way, Chili NY is locally pronounced Chy-lye

Of course, we pronounce Canandaiguia, Skanealteles, and Schoharie the way
they're spelled.
jgar the jorrible
2016-03-31 00:26:29 UTC
Post by John Levine
Ah, the elephant never forgets.
By the way, Chili NY is locally pronounced Chy-lye
Of course, we pronounce Canandaiguia, Skanealteles, and Schoharie the way
they're spelled.
And as long as we're answering a thread from the last century with places outside of the subject, http://www.yelp.com/topic/los-angeles-mispronunciations-in-los-angeles

Triva: The Los Angeles Angels.

Of course, san diego county has Poway. People who live there are Powegians, and call it Po'Way, the rest of us call it Pow-way.

Trivia answer: The The Angels Angels.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://ktla.com/2016/03/30/4-firefighters-injured-when-driver-suffers-medical-emergency-crashes-truck-in-valley-glen/
Ed-M
2016-04-27 17:23:14 UTC
How about "mackinaw" for Mackinac?
Larry Scholnick
2016-05-05 20:05:01 UTC
Where would we be without Miami, OK (pronounced MY-ama; the last 2 syllables match the state of Alabama)?
ARCEE
El Dorado, Arkansas (pronounced "El-dough-RAY-dough"
Ed-M
2016-06-22 18:03:15 UTC
Ouch. X^(
John Levine
2016-06-23 16:22:10 UTC
Post by ARCEE
Why is it that the Midwest has all kind of cities and towns named after
places elsewhere in the world but always pronounces them funny? For
Lima (LEE-mah), Ohio
East Palestine (PAL-a-steen), Ohio
Cairo (KAY-ro), Illinois
Peru (PEE-ru), Indiana
New Madrid (MA-drid), Missouri
Matt
El Dorado, Arkansas (pronounced "El-dough-RAY-dough"
Should we be gearing up for a festive twentieth anniversary
celebration of this thread? Only two years to go!