Longest Exit Ramp
m***@gmail.com
2015-10-30 20:57:48 UTC
I guess Its Exit 183 Of I-49 In Missorui, The Full Length All The Way To I-435 Is 1.8 Miles Long. I Call It "I-149".
Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
2015-11-02 05:46:09 UTC
In New York State, something like that might qualify for its own
reference route number.
Harry K
2015-11-02 17:34:52 UTC
Post by Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
In New York State, something like that might qualify for its own
reference route number.
Interesting. I presume you all are talking about exit/interchange ramps that have no other intersections the entire length. I've been in some of those locations but that was back in the 50s/60s before most of them were built.

Harry K
Larry Scholnick
2015-11-06 01:36:35 UTC
The ramps that connect I-215 and CA-210 (NB to EB, and WB to SB) in San Bernardino, CA are so long that they were assigned their own route number (CA-259), although Google Maps no longer show the route. Route 259 is officially 1.5 miles long, but it's closer to 2 miles long with its approach ramps; it even has 2 exits (1A and 1B) along the way.
jgar the jorrible
2015-11-06 16:49:12 UTC
Post by Larry Scholnick
The ramps that connect I-215 and CA-210 (NB to EB, and WB to SB) in San Bernardino, CA are so long that they were assigned their own route number (CA-259), although Google Maps no longer show the route. Route 259 is officially 1.5 miles long, but it's closer to 2 miles long with its approach ramps; it even has 2 exits (1A and 1B) along the way.
Never knew they were considered ramps. Thanks!

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/30451868/reckless-motorist-drives-the-wrong-way-on-i-805-and-i-5
Michael Angelo Ravera
2015-11-07 22:17:47 UTC
What is the longest highway exit ramp. The ramp at the US 30/US 250
interchange west of Wooster OH is almost 1-1/2 miles long. It's really
weird.
My guess, as I stated several years ago, is that it is an HOV-to-HOV connecting ramp in California. The one connecting SB I-880 to WB CASR-237 is almost 5 km (past two exits on CASR-237). I don't even think that this is even the longest on in California.

There are several situations where one freeway ends at another with a considerable distance from the last exit on the terminating freeway. I think of the I-880 to I-80 connections in Oakland and the EB CASR-58 to SB I-15 connector in Barstow, but these don't typically rival the HOV-to-HOV connectors.

In Texas, many freeways have frontage roads that go for considerable distances (especially inside metro area) and often collect traffic for several miles before dumping it onto surface streets with traffic controls.
o***@tampabay.rr.com
2016-04-01 03:54:56 UTC
What is the longest highway exit ramp. The ramp at the US 30/US 250
interchange west of Wooster OH is almost 1-1/2 miles long. It's really
weird.
--
Brian M. Powell aka Ohio Roads Fan
The exit ramp from I-75, about 12 mi. N of Tampa in west central Florida, onto State Road 56 is 2.26 miles as measured on Google Earth.
Ed-M
2016-04-01 15:17:57 UTC
What is the longest highway exit ramp. The ramp at the US 30/US 250
interchange west of Wooster OH is almost 1-1/2 miles long. It's really
weird.
--
Brian M. Powell aka Ohio Roads Fan
Route 85 connector from I-290 to Rte 85 in Hudson, MA.
Damn, I checked. Only 1.7 miles ling.
Michael Moroney
2016-04-01 18:15:59 UTC
Post by Ed-M
What is the longest highway exit ramp. The ramp at the US 30/US 250
interchange west of Wooster OH is almost 1-1/2 miles long. It's really
weird.
Route 85 connector from I-290 to Rte 85 in Hudson, MA.
Damn, I checked. Only 1.7 miles ling.
I think that the Route 85 Connector is "officially" an unnumbered Mass.
state highway, not a ramp.

One I probably mentioned long before this topic became almost old enough
to vote is Exit 1 SB offramp from US 3/Everett Turnpike. Despite being a
standard diamond configuration, it is about a mile long. The intent was
to prevent access between Exit 2 and Exit 1, the reason being planned
tollbooths, I believe. (they were never built). They later added short
ramp-to-ramp ramps to allow access between Exits 1 & 2.

Also Exit 2 itself may be considered a long ramp, to NH 3A in Hudson.
Also about a mile long, with a sub-exit to Daniel Webster Highway. This
is actually the only part of the planned Nashua Circumferential Highway
that was ever built.

The whole ramp complex there (Exits 1 & 2) has strange 2/10 mile markers,
with the Everett Turnpike symbol and a number of the form R2-B instead of
a route number. I haven't seen similar ramp mile markers anywhere else in
NH. The number after the R must be the associated exit number (1 & 2 for
Exits 1 and 2) and the letter is for the individual ramp roadway.
Larry Sheldon
2016-04-02 03:28:20 UTC
What is the longest highway exit ramp. The ramp at the US 30/US 250
interchange west of Wooster OH is almost 1-1/2 miles long. It's really
weird.
Exit 445 on I80 Westbound in Omaha, Nebraska, is 2.6 miles to the
Traffic Light on Q Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.2231685,-96.0736229/41.2053831,-96.096731/@41.2140006,-96.1047201,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e0
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)
Larry Scholnick
2016-05-05 20:31:08 UTC
Long exit ramps cause a particular problem with Exit Numbers in California.

The rule for numbering an exit ramp in CA has nothing to do with the mileage at the Gore Point; instead, it's the mileage where the centerline of the Freeway you are on crosses the centerline of the exit road. And, mileages are rounded to the nearest mile except that there is no Mile 0 so Mile 1 extends from 0.00 to 1.49.

On Southbound I-5 in Orange County, CA there is an interchange ramp for CA-22 East that is numbered 107 A (mileage 106.52); barely 1/4 mile later is exit 105 B for Main Street (mileage 105.37). The ramp for Main Street is 1.2 miles long. Southbound freeway drivers can miss the exit 105 B if the rely on the exit numbers to mistakenly believe that they have over a mile once they pass exit 107 A.
Ed-M
2016-05-06 18:02:06 UTC
Post by Larry Scholnick
Long exit ramps cause a particular problem with Exit Numbers in California.
The rule for numbering an exit ramp in CA has nothing to do with the mileage at the Gore Point; instead, it's the mileage where the centerline of the Freeway you are on crosses the centerline of the exit road. And, mileages are rounded to the nearest mile except that there is no Mile 0 so Mile 1 extends from 0.00 to 1.49.
On Southbound I-5 in Orange County, CA there is an interchange ramp for CA-22 East that is numbered 107 A (mileage 106.52); barely 1/4 mile later is exit 105 B for Main Street (mileage 105.37). The ramp for Main Street is 1.2 miles long. Southbound freeway drivers can miss the exit 105 B if the rely on the exit numbers to mistakenly believe that they have over a mile once they pass exit 107 A.
Man, that is ugly! The exits really should be at the gore point. Wonder if the way California determines its exit numbers is the way mandated by federal law? I betcha dollars to donuts.

Mmmmmm.... donutssss..... |^)
Larry Scholnick
2016-05-23 23:06:37 UTC
No, it's not due to any federal mandate. California determines its exit numbers based on the mileage at the meeting of the centerlines of the freeway and the exit road because that's what they had available in the Bridge Log. Caltrans already had a log of all Bridges and Tunnels based on the meeting of centerlines.

When they needed to assign exit numbers they had two choices, send a truck with a hundredth of a mile odometer to drive every freeway in both directions, or they could use the Bridge Log, which had mileages for every bridge and tunnel on every Interstate, U.S., and State Highway; easy choice!
jgar the jorrible
2016-05-26 23:17:29 UTC
Post by Larry Scholnick
Long exit ramps cause a particular problem with Exit Numbers in California.
The rule for numbering an exit ramp in CA has nothing to do with the mileage at the Gore Point; instead, it's the mileage where the centerline of the Freeway you are on crosses the centerline of the exit road. And, mileages are rounded to the nearest mile except that there is no Mile 0 so Mile 1 extends from 0.00 to 1.49.
On Southbound I-5 in Orange County, CA there is an interchange ramp for CA-22 East that is numbered 107 A (mileage 106.52); barely 1/4 mile later is exit 105 B for Main Street (mileage 105.37). The ramp for Main Street is 1.2 miles long. Southbound freeway drivers can miss the exit 105 B if the rely on the exit numbers to mistakenly believe that they have over a mile once they pass exit 107 A.
Even though I've been doing it for years (often to route around a traffic chokepoint), I still sometimes forget the Bake Parkway/truck bypass is before the 405, even though Bake is after the 405. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6451573,-117.7358927,17z

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/32068037/los-angeles-auto-wreck-lawyer-resource-discusses-common-causes-of-car-accidents
BxDanny
Exit 15X on the New Jersey Turnpike certainly merits a mention in this category. It's the exit for the Secaucus railroad station. It's about 2 miles long, close to a mile going away from the turnpike, and another mile coming back (with toll booths on it somewhere). Why it was built so long I haven't a clue.
John Levine
2016-05-17 19:54:40 UTC
Yes, well.
Post by BxDanny
Exit 15X on the New Jersey Turnpike certainly merits a mention in this category. It's the exit for the
Secaucus railroad station. It's about 2 miles long, close to a mile going away from the turnpike, and
another mile coming back (with toll booths on it somewhere). Why it was built so long I haven't a clue.
The Secaucus Junction station was originally planned as transfer only,
with no local access other than for the staff. Then some genius
noticed that the Turnpike was right there, so they shoehorned 15X into
the available space. Then they built a parking lot so people can get
off at 15X and park to, you know, take the train, and as of this year
there's even a bus station so people can transfer from local buses to
trains to NYC and Hoboken.

As far as I can tell, the long loop is partly to have enough distance
to safely slow down and speed up at the toll booths, even if traffic
is backed up, and partly to get from the level of the elevated
Turnpike down to the surface.

It is pretty strange, though.
Larry Sheldon
2016-05-18 05:45:48 UTC
Post by John Levine
Yes, well.
Post by BxDanny
[...]
....and the general contractor knew somebody that owed him.
--
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
-- Juvenal
t***@gmail.com