Esso stations in U.S.
m***@gmail.com
2019-07-31 18:15:22 UTC
I remember Esso when I was a kid,my Dad had a Sunocco station and the Esso down the street was his competition, I have recently seen Esso in Eastern Europe.
John Levine
2019-08-01 14:53:45 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I remember Esso when I was a kid,my Dad had a Sunocco station and the Esso down the street was his competition, I have recently seen Esso in
Eastern Europe.
Do you think anything might have changed in the 16 years since that message was posted?
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Kenny McCormack
2019-08-01 15:59:13 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Eastern Europe.
Do you think anything might have changed in the 16 years since that message was posted?
Given the (very low) volume in this group, I have no problem with these necro-threads.

I actually find it amusing.
--
Prayer has no place in the public schools, just like facts
have no place in organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-03 18:56:50 UTC
Is anyone here old enough to remember when Esso was a major gas
station in the U.S.? What was the last American Esso in operation?
I remember seeing Esso in Germany in the 1970s, but I have no
idea whether it still exists over there.
How about Gulf: does that gas station still exist?
Maybe there needs to be a museum to gas stations of eras gone by.
MJ
There are some Gulf stations in Houston Tx, Haven't seen any Esso
Clark F Morris
2019-08-03 21:02:23 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Is anyone here old enough to remember when Esso was a major gas
station in the U.S.? What was the last American Esso in operation?
I remember seeing Esso in Germany in the 1970s, but I have no
idea whether it still exists over there.
How about Gulf: does that gas station still exist?
Maybe there needs to be a museum to gas stations of eras gone by.
MJ
There are some Gulf stations in Houston Tx, Haven't seen any Esso
Plenty of ESSO in Canada an no Exxon.

Clark Morris
Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs
Alaska Vandelizer Exxon is trying to add the brand to Mobil stations around Chicago. Go away ExxScam !
John Levine
2019-08-11 19:18:30 UTC
Post by Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs
Alaska Vandelizer Exxon is trying to add the brand to Mobil stations around Chicago. Go away ExxScam !
It's a little late. Exxon bought Mobil in 1999.
Stop-IL-TollwayRipoffs
2019-08-12 22:29:50 UTC
And some US Residents named Hitler changed their names in the 1940s
John Levine
2019-08-03 21:23:02 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
There are some Gulf stations in Houston Tx, Haven't seen any Esso
There are no Esso stations left in the U.S. and there haven't been
since 1972. As part of the Standard Oil breakup in 1911 each of the
successor Standard Oil companies had the right to use the Standard
name in its own territory. A court case in the 1930s said that Esso
was too close to S.O., so the Standard Oil company of New Jersey could
only use that name in its home territory in the eastern U.S. and used
other names elsewhere including Humble and Enco. In 1972 they
rebranded all of their U.S. properties as Exxon.

Outside the U.S. none of this applied so there are lots of Esso
stations in other countries around the world.

The Gulf name is even more complicated. The former Gulf Oil company
was merged into Chevron in the 1970s, the name was mostly abandoned,
then was licensed to regional operators so the Gulf stations you see
now are unrelated to the old Gulf company, and the ones in Texas
are not the same company as the ones in the northeast.
j***@friedel.earth
2020-02-04 17:34:44 UTC
A few years ago Exxon asked received approval from BP (SOHIO), the last marketer to use a Standard in their name, to retake control of the Esso name. Exxon then requested approval from the courts and was awarded rights to the Standard ESSO name once again.

At the time Exxon said it had no plans to reintroduce the Esso name in the USA.

All that said, Esso (Exxon) has been selling of their stations around the world as the trend seems to be going. As a part of the sale (Ireland for example) they maintain supply of the station for x number of years but give up the management of and marketing of the station.

Seems to me the profits in stations must be far less then it used to be and the risk of a boycott is greatly diminished when the consumer has no idea where the fuel actually comes from.

Will be interesting to see if Exxon ever returns the Esso name to the USA.
rdc
2020-02-10 18:45:37 UTC
Post by j***@friedel.earth
A few years ago Exxon asked received approval from BP (SOHIO), the last
marketer to use a Standard in their name, to retake control of the Esso
name. Exxon then requested approval from the courts and was awarded
rights to the Standard ESSO name once again.
At the time Exxon said it had no plans to reintroduce the Esso name in the USA.
All that said, Esso (Exxon) has been selling of their stations around
the world as the trend seems to be going. As a part of the sale
(Ireland for example) they maintain supply of the station for x number
of years but give up the management of and marketing of the station.
Seems to me the profits in stations must be far less then it used to be
and the risk of a boycott is greatly diminished when the consumer has
no idea where the fuel actually comes from.
Will be interesting to see if Exxon ever returns the Esso name to the USA.
I think a lot of it is predicated on getting rid of leaking UST
liability. I was involved in the transfer of stations in Maryland, CT,
and New York, and from speaking with station operators, it seemed that
the transfer costs depending on the amount of fuel product in the soil
and groundwater, the size of the station, and traffic of the
station--I'm sure there were other factors but that was what I was told.

I am not sure about all of the details, but it appeared that some of
the stations had enough contamination that they were transferred to
another owner either for nothing or with Exxon/Mobil giving the new
owner some cash in exchange for assignment of polluation liability away
from XOM.