Draw bridges on Interstates
9***@msn.com
2004-11-27 17:23:15 UTC
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
Scott M. Kozel
2004-11-27 17:32:18 UTC
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record,
"Where are all the drawbridges on the Interstate system?"
http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#68
--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Philadelphia and Delaware Valley http://www.pennways.com
9***@msn.com
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Joe Blasi
2004-11-29 03:36:21 UTC
There is one at the end ? of I-290 in Chicago
Mike Tantillo
2004-11-30 00:35:19 UTC
Post by Scott M. Kozel
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record,
"Where are all the drawbridges on the Interstate system?"
http://www.roadfan.com/mtrfaq.html#68
BTW, I found at least one thats not in the FAQ....former drawbridge on
I-95 (New England Thruway) at Eastchester Creek....replaced with fixed
level span in 1994 or 1995 I believe.
Mitsguy2001
2004-11-27 19:51:10 UTC
Subject: Draw bridges on Interstates
Date: 11/27/2004 12:23 PM Eastern Standard Time
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
The most famous one is probably the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, on the Washington
Beltway (I-95), over the Potomac River, between Virginia and Maryland, and
including a tiny piece of DC.
Keith
Don't forget I-280 over the Maumee River in Downtown Toledo.
Larry Scholnick
2004-11-27 20:06:13 UTC
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
I'm sure you must have meant 'drawbridges' (one word) rather than 'draw bridges' (two words). I'm
not sure where you would have the time to sketch a bridge on an interstate highway.
Roch, NY Roadgeek
2004-11-27 22:52:12 UTC
I remember driving over a drawbridge on an interstate in Jacksonville, FL
some years ago; but I believe this has been replaced by a higher fixed
bridge.

Dave
www.bigfotdave.com
rickmastfan67
2004-11-28 12:18:52 UTC
Yeah, it's gone. Was in Jacksonville in Janurary and drove over the
brand new bridge. :)

But, if I remember correctly, the old bridge was still there. Can't be
sure if it's till there now.
rickmastfan67
2004-11-28 12:21:48 UTC
Yeah, there's a new bridge in service. Was in Jacksonville in Janurary

sure if it's till there today.
g***@aol.com
2004-12-08 05:12:35 UTC
As someone mentioned years ago, near San Joaqun River, there's an
interesection with HTREE bascule bridges by an old rialroad
vertical-lift bridge!!

Or there USED to be.

The interesection looked something like..

/ /
/ / i i-ramp
Scherzer (at least that's what I THINK they were!) drawbridges* on
each..

============*NOTE==========
Here in Calfironia, in point-of-fact in the above generla area, San
Fran.bay area, o'er the Sacramento river, as well as formerly on
Terminal Isle in my neck o;the state--Southern Cali., except for the
Chicago City and Scherzer Chicago Bridges..Strauss Heel Trunnion--the
"fist-with-counterweight'-type turssed bascules--dominate. ANother good
example of THAT type is the Vancouver Johnson Bridge in Canada, and in
the "diiorama 'round the walls" of Los Angeles' elgendary Musem of
Sciene's Sciene train room (may no longer be there what with all of the
rodemoeling done over the decade). I think that the OTHER Strauss (the
GOlden Gate designer,btw) type, the more-Schercher like type, may be
what the "freeway-drawbridge-system-over-the-San Joaquin River" bridges
MAY be...maybe a mixture.
Richard
2004-11-27 23:00:57 UTC
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
I-95 has a few working drawbridges north of NYC and one or two south of NYC.
Other than those, no there are no working drawbridges anywhere else I know
of.
Most of the bridges have been designed to be high rise style so that ships
can easily get under them.
Mitsguy2001
2004-11-28 03:08:35 UTC
Subject: Re: Draw bridges on Interstates
Date: 11/27/2004 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
I-95 has a few working drawbridges north of NYC and one or two south of NYC.
Other than those, no there are no working drawbridges anywhere else I know
of.
Most of the bridges have been designed to be high rise style so that ships
can easily get under them.
Where are those working drawbridges north and south of NYC? The only
drawbridge I'm aware of on I-95 is the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, which is nowhere
near NYC.
SloRide9430
2004-11-28 03:22:49 UTC
Post by Mitsguy2001
Where are those working drawbridges north and south of NYC? The only
drawbridge I'm aware of on I-95 is the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, which is nowhere
near NYC.
Isn't there one on I-64 in the tidewater area?

Safe truckin' !

Slo
Bob Lutz
2004-11-29 19:48:29 UTC
I-264, the Berkley Bridge[s], near IIRC the Downtown Tunnel and I-464.
Froggie
2004-11-30 01:12:42 UTC
Post by Bob Lutz
Post by SloRide9430
Isn't there one on I-64 in the tidewater area?
I-264, the Berkley Bridge[s], near IIRC the Downtown Tunnel and I-464.
The I-64 "High Rise Bridge" in Chesapeake is also a drawbridge...

Froggie | Virginia Beach, VA | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/
Neil Bratney
2004-11-29 13:53:05 UTC
I thought there was a drawbridge on I-90 crossing Lake Washington in
Seattle?

Neil
Steve
2004-11-29 20:41:52 UTC
Post by 9***@msn.com
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges?
Surely there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
That's a floating bridge.
Drawbridges still exist on I-278 in NY and I-280 in NJ, and I believe
even the new Wilson Bridge on I-495/I-95 in MD/VA will be a drawbridge,
although higher than the old one. I-280's has no timetable for
replacement, as it appears an NJ 21 interchange redo (currently it's a
mess with only five movements out of eight) will happen first.
--
Steve
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT
Christopher L. Estep
2004-11-29 23:40:27 UTC
Post by Steve
Post by Neil Bratney
I thought there was a drawbridge on I-90 crossing Lake Washington in
Seattle?
Neil
Do you know of any Interstate Highways that feature drawbridges? Surely
there's been some news since it was posted in 1995 (for the
record, it is the VERY post topic posted on M.T.R.)
That's a floating bridge.
Drawbridges still exist on I-278 in NY and I-280 in NJ, and I believe even
the new Wilson Bridge on I-495/I-95 in MD/VA will be a drawbridge,
although higher than the old one. I-280's has no timetable for
replacement, as it appears an NJ 21 interchange redo (currently it's a
mess with only five movements out of eight) will happen first.
The Wilson Bridge replacement will indeed be another drawbridge, but with a
higher clearance than the existing drawbridge. (The tunnel idea was
scrapped due to the problem of disposal of the tailings, which would be more
than that of the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore and approaching that of
Boston's Big Dig, despite the tunnel being considerably shorter. Worse, due
to the high cost, the proposed tunnel would have to be tolled.)

Also, unlike Delaware or Virginia, Maryland doesn't use toll revenue for
general funds (Delaware) or allow private toll roads (Virginia).

In fact, the Old Line State has only six tolled areas (two tunnels, three
intrastate bridges, and one interstate bridge).

Two of the intrastate bridges (both over the Susquehanna River) are next on
the list for being de-tolled (in fact, both are only tolled SW to NE over
the river) followed by the FSK (I-695 over the Patapsco River).

Question: How many East Coast states have *no* toll roads other than
Maryland and the Carolinas?

Christopher L. Estep
Nick C
2004-11-30 04:36:25 UTC
Post by Christopher L. Estep
In fact, the Old Line State has only six tolled areas (two tunnels, three
intrastate bridges, and one interstate bridge).
Two of the intrastate bridges (both over the Susquehanna River) are next
on the list for being de-tolled (in fact, both are only tolled SW to NE
over the river) followed by the FSK (I-695 over the Patapsco River).
Really? That would be great. That $5 toll is bitter to swallow (although
not as bad as the PA Tpk) and it is only collected for those who cross the
bridge going northbound (other traffic on I-95 pays nothing).
Sancho Panza
2004-11-30 15:27:34 UTC

Huh? Maryland no toll roads? Give us a break.
Froggie
2004-11-30 23:03:03 UTC
Post by Christopher L. Estep
Post by Christopher L. Estep
Question: How many East Coast states have *no* toll roads other than
Maryland and the Carolinas?
Huh? Maryland no toll roads? Give us a break.
He's obviously not including toll bridges/tunnels under "toll roads".

Froggie | Virginia Beach, VA | http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/
Sancho Panza
2004-12-01 03:54:44 UTC
Post by Froggie
He's obviously not including toll bridges/tunnels under "toll roads".
It also looks as if he's omitting a little country road called Interstate
95:

" John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway (formerly Northeastern Expressway) was
constructed with revenue bond proceeds authorized in 1956 (Chapter 1, Acts
of the Special Session of 1956). A part of Interstate 95, this toll road
opened to traffic on November 14, 1963. Its fifty miles extend from Delaware
south to the northern limits of Baltimore City. Administrative offices of
the Kennedy Memorial Highway are located at the Perryville Toll Plaza, where
tolls for through traffic are collected."

http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/24dot/html/24agen.html#kennedy
rushw
2004-11-29 20:45:42 UTC
Post by Neil Bratney
I thought there was a drawbridge on I-90 crossing Lake Washington in
Seattle?
Neil
There was a retracting draw on the original version of the Lacey V. Murrow
floating bridge, which carries eastbound Interstate 90. However, this
section was removed and replaced with a conventional span in the early
1980's.

SJC
2018-03-10 18:03:51 UTC
Post by Larry Scholnick
I'm sure you must have meant 'drawbridges' (one word) rather than 'draw bridges' (two words). I'm
not sure where you would have the time to sketch a bridge on an interstate highway."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Larry, that one was hilarious!
John Levine
2018-03-10 20:41:38 UTC
Post by SJC
Post by Larry Scholnick
I'm sure you must have meant 'drawbridges' (one word) rather than 'draw bridges' (two words). I'm
not sure where you would have the time to sketch a bridge on an interstate highway."
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
Larry, that one was hilarious!
Nice to know that after 14 years someone finally got the joke.
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",