milepost 666
colin
2004-06-28 23:34:04 UTC
I was on this all-night insanity drive from Phoenix to Houston this
weekend and, during the really long time that I had to think about
things, I thought about milepost 666.
I know in Texas, it exists on I-10, around Schulenburg I'm guessing.
The only other possible point is on I-5 in California, but I remember
that they used to not even have mile markers. I-20 in Texas comes
close I noticed though.
I didn't get a chance to see it, so I wonder are these mileposts still
standing? I just assume that they had met the fate of most highway
signs with "666" or "69" and have been either stolen or defaced.
Anyone have any insight?

-colin
Pete Jenior
2004-06-29 02:26:54 UTC
I was on US 89 in Arizona north of the Grand Canyon once and mile markers
were either in the 600's or 700's. In other words, this may be fairly
common out west on US routes.
-Pete
-colin
Alan Hamilton
2004-06-29 07:53:11 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:26:54 -0400, "Pete Jenior"
Post by Pete Jenior
I was on US 89 in Arizona north of the Grand Canyon once and mile markers
were either in the 600's or 700's. In other words, this may be fairly
common out west on US routes.
-Pete
Nope, not quite. US 89A tops out at 613, AZ 67 gets to 610. AZ 389
starts at 0 at the Utah border. Nothing else makes it into the 600s.
--
/
/ * / Alan Hamilton

Arizona Roads -- http://www.arizonaroads.com
Jason Pawloski
Good to see you around. Where have you been?
t***@gmail.com
2020-02-02 04:24:13 UTC
I 5 California goes north past 700. I'm traveling south and just passed 664 at Cottonwood.
Patrick Lee Humphrey
2004-06-29 04:36:47 UTC
Post by colin
I was on this all-night insanity drive from Phoenix to Houston this
weekend and, during the really long time that I had to think about
things, I thought about milepost 666.
I know in Texas, it exists on I-10, around Schulenburg I'm guessing.
The only other possible point is on I-5 in California, but I remember
that they used to not even have mile markers. I-20 in Texas comes
close I noticed though.
I didn't get a chance to see it, so I wonder are these mileposts still
standing? I just assume that they had met the fate of most highway
signs with "666" or "69" and have been either stolen or defaced.
Anyone have any insight?
At least on I-10 out in Fayette County, where mile 666 is located between the
Engle and Flatonia exits, the 666 mileposts on both sides have been missing
for the last couple of times I've been to San Antonio in the last 18 months.
Texas had a state highway 69 for a while, but it was decommissioned back in
the '70s, IIRC, mainly because of the sign problem -- but US 69 doesn't seem
to have the same problem, go figure.
--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (***@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (TCI's 2003-04 Houston Aeros)
David J. Lynch
2004-06-30 04:49:45 UTC
Post by Patrick Lee Humphrey
At least on I-10 out in Fayette County, where mile 666 is located between the
Engle and Flatonia exits, the 666 mileposts on both sides have been missing
for the last couple of times I've been to San Antonio in the last 18 months.
Texas had a state highway 69 for a while, but it was decommissioned back in
the '70s, IIRC, mainly because of the sign problem -- but US 69 doesn't seem
to have the same problem, go figure.
FM 2001 southeast of Austin ran into sign-theft problems around 3.5
years ago, for obvious reasons. All of the signs along SH 21 are now
green on-white squares, reading "FM 2001 EAST" (somewhat redundantly,
because the directional banners were kept in place.) They're actually
more readable than your standard FM/RM sign, because the numbers are
about 1 1/2 times the height. (As distinctive as the standard signs are,
it's impossible to read them until you're almost on top of them, so you
have to know where you're going.)
Jason Pawloski
2004-06-29 06:48:36 UTC
Post by colin
I was on this all-night insanity drive from Phoenix to Houston this
weekend and, during the really long time that I had to think about
things, I thought about milepost 666.
Hey you took I-10, so you must have passed "Exit 420: Baker St" in Texas.
Hahahaha, I loved that so much I got out of my car and took a picture.

Someone else in this thread mentioned US 89/89A in Arizona, but I remember
it just barely breaking 600. I could be wrong, but I don't think it gets to
666.

Jason
Andrew Tompkins
2004-06-29 17:47:03 UTC
Post by colin
I was on this all-night insanity drive from Phoenix to Houston this
weekend and, during the really long time that I had to think about
things, I thought about milepost 666.
I know in Texas, it exists on I-10, around Schulenburg I'm guessing.
The only other possible point is on I-5 in California, but I remember
that they used to not even have mile markers.
They still don't, at least not through-state. They still use the county-based
mileposting system.
Post by colin
I-20 in Texas comes
close I noticed though.
I didn't get a chance to see it, so I wonder are these mileposts still
standing? I just assume that they had met the fate of most highway
signs with "666" or "69" and have been either stolen or defaced.
Anyone have any insight?
-colin
--Andy
Andrew G. Tompkins
Software Engineer
Beaverton, OR
http://home.comcast.net/~andytom/Highways
Jasonc65
2004-07-02 00:51:12 UTC
I'm confused. Arizona is only 360 miles long EW and shorter NS. There is no
way any mile markers can get from 0 to 600 in Arizona, unless the roads do an
awful lot of winding.
Jason Pawloski
2004-07-02 03:48:00 UTC
Post by Jasonc65
I'm confused. Arizona is only 360 miles long EW and shorter NS. There is no
way any mile markers can get from 0 to 600 in Arizona, unless the roads do an
awful lot of winding.
Um, it is certainly not shorter NS.

Jason
Alan Hamilton
2004-07-02 05:54:34 UTC
Post by Jasonc65
awful lot of winding.
Um, it is certainly not shorter NS.
Right. What is this, Tennessee?

Anyway, it's 400 miles as the crow flies from Nogales to Kanab. But
yes, the original route of US 89 did zigzag a lot.
--
/

Pete Jenior
2004-07-03 01:16:50 UTC
Post by Jasonc65
I'm confused. Arizona is only 360 miles long EW and shorter NS. There is no
way any mile markers can get from 0 to 600 in Arizona, unless the roads do an
awful lot of winding.
There's the Grand Canyon to go around in the case of US 89...
-Pete