I-95 / I-295 renumbering in NJ
nospam@nospam.com
2017-12-23 00:19:50 UTC
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/12/interstate_95_near_trenton_is_getting_a_new_number.html
John Levine
2017-12-23 02:54:49 UTC
Post by ***@nospam.com
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/12/interstate_95_near_trenton_is_getting_a_new_number.html
The key fact is that Pennsylvania is finally building an interchange
between I-95 and the PA Turnpike, so I-95 will now run down the NJ
Turnpike to exit 6, cross the river on the PA Turnpike, and then
connect to the existing I-95 via the new interchange. The part of
I-95 north of the PA Turnpike in PA and NJ will be renumbered I-295.

When PA built interstates, as far as I can tell, in none of the places
where the new Interstates crossed the Turnpike did they build direct
connections, other than perhaps at Clark's Summit where the Turnpike
extension peters out next to an exit on I-81. What was the alleged
thinking there? I've seen assertions that they couldn't do it because
the law at the time didn't let them spend Interstate money on toll
roads, but that rule was gone by 1957 and they didn't start building
I-95 until after 1960.

R's,
John
--
Regards,
John Levine, ***@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
rdc
2017-12-26 13:47:01 UTC
Post by John Levine
Post by ***@nospam.com
[...]
I have no information about this, but I had always assumed that it was
a function of a de facto payoff to locals for the Interstates bypassing
their town;s businesses. So, using Breezewood as an example, you have
that half-mile or so between I-70 and the Turnpike to fleece the
out-of-towners, which isn't as good as the fleecing opportunities along
U.S. 30 but better than no chance to fleece. So, I had assumed that it
was like that all over the Commonwealth.

That said, doesn't the interstates going into Pittsburgh, I think
I-376, join directly to the Turnpike?
-
rdc