Ez pass Suspended - is it worth it to appeal?
Dwayne Hoover
2003-09-14 01:16:16 UTC
I was just notified with two letters today that 1)I was getting a
warning for "
speeding" through the toll plaza on the NYS Thruway at 25mph and that
a second offense would result in a 60 day suspension. Well later that
day I committed my second offense and my ezpass will be suspended. Is
this fair? Not exactly fair warning. I think the speed limit on EZpass
in NY State is something like 5mph - have you ever tried to do this?
It's impossible and would probably result in getting rear ended on
certain roads. I was just wondering if it's worth it to appeal and
what IS the actual speed limit - does it really differ from state to
state? Also can I cancel my EZpass with NYS and buy it from the Port
Authority like I read on another thread. Anyone know how to go about
that?
Nathan Perry
2003-09-14 07:12:35 UTC
Post by Dwayne Hoover
I was just notified with two letters today that 1)I was getting a
warning for "
speeding" through the toll plaza on the NYS Thruway at 25mph and that
a second offense would result in a 60 day suspension. Well later that
day I committed my second offense and my ezpass will be suspended. Is
this fair? Not exactly fair warning. I think the speed limit on EZpass
in NY State is something like 5mph - have you ever tried to do this?
It's impossible and would probably result in getting rear ended on
certain roads. I was just wondering if it's worth it to appeal and
what IS the actual speed limit - does it really differ from state to
state? Also can I cancel my EZpass with NYS and buy it from the Port
Authority like I read on another thread. Anyone know how to go about
that?
If you're going 25, you probably never see the light turn green. It's
necessary to nearly stop in order to see that light. I've never cruised
through at an even 5mph, I usually come to almost a full stop.
Dwayne Hoover
2003-09-14 19:14:41 UTC
I always see the light turn green. Even when I've gone much faster.
I've been an ez pass customer for many many years and have always gone
25mph through the toll and have never received any kind of warning. In
NYC very few people slow down to under 20 mph. I think it's unfair for
them to suspend me for two violations in the same day. It seems to me
that if they just implemented this policy that they ought to wait
until the person is sufficiently warned before the suspend the
privelege. I would have slowed down had I known
Jeff W
2003-09-14 23:15:18 UTC
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by Dwayne Hoover
[...]
Why is ezpass even popular from all that I read. My state doesn't use
ezpass, and my speed limits range from 25, to usually 35-65. I don't
have to pay any nonsense yearly or monthly fees, i get really good
customer service, and i can pay my balance online if i don't have it
work automatically. That's not all, I can see my balance displayed on
the box(or online), and I can get the transponder the same day without
waiting 2 weeks for the mail. If i lived in an ez-pass state, I think I
would start opting for the cash basket lanes.
PS. at 35 in our agencies, we see the light turn green.
Sorry for my flame, it's been boiling up and it just seems wrong.
michael d
2003-09-14 23:37:24 UTC
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by Dwayne Hoover
[...]
The pennsylvania turnpike doesn't charge a monthly fee. You pay the $35
in your account and if you choose to do an automatic replenishment via
credit card you get the transponders free. The only thing you pay per
month is to get statement in the mail and that's only $3.
Justin
2003-09-16 13:30:12 UTC
Post by Jeff W
Why is ezpass even popular from all that I read. My state doesn't use
ezpass, and my speed limits range from 25, to usually 35-65. I don't
have to pay any nonsense yearly or monthly fees, i get really good
customer service, and i can pay my balance online if i don't have it
work automatically. That's not all, I can see my balance displayed on
the box(or online), and I can get the transponder the same day without
waiting 2 weeks for the mail. If i lived in an ez-pass state, I think I
would start opting for the cash basket lanes.
PS. at 35 in our agencies, we see the light turn green.
Sorry for my flame, it's been boiling up and it just seems wrong.
wait on the Triboro, last Saturday at 1:30 PM. EZ Pass, wide open, no
delay at all. cash lanes? 24 cars backed up, a several minute wait.
This is on the ramp from the Bruckner to Manhattan. EZ pass saves a
HUGE amount of time here in the NYC Metro ara. I can't believe I did
without one for so many years.
In Dallas I use the Tollway often and go through the express lanes anywhere
from 65 - 85 and have never gotten any kind of speed warning. Most people
do, if you were to slow down to anything nearing 25 mph there would probably
be some kind of massive pileup. In Florida on the Sunpass, most people go
significantly slower... but I've never gotten down to 25 on them.

Justin
Justin
2003-09-16 18:05:02 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Jeff W
[...]
Actually --- found this in the Orlando sentinel today in the roaddog column:

Dear Road Dog: The expressway authority has said it was going to suspend the
E-Passes of speeders. I see people flying through there every day. Are they
doing anything?

Sharon Clark
WINTER PARK

Dear Sharon: Yep, the toll trolls are still on the hunt. So far, they have
suspended about 740 E-Passes since late 2002, though more than 400 of those
have been reinstated.

It's a fairly lenient policy. After your car is electronically nabbed five
times speeding through a plaza, you get a warning letter.

Five more times after that, and your E-Pass is turned off for 30 days. If
you keep speeding, you can lose the pass for 60 days and, if you're a
horrible recidivist, you can eventually lose it forever. No one yet has
received this death sentence.
t***@tampabay.rr.com

Jeff W
2003-09-17 03:05:02 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Justin
[...]
They've been doing this for about a year now. The reason why they let
you go so many times speeding before they take away your E-pass is
because on your daily commute you can go through 4-5 each way easy. I
understand it has cut back a LOT of speeding through the plaza's.
The problem with sunpass is they have that freaking tollgate which if
you don't do exactly 25-30, you jump out of your skin thinking your
going to smack through it.
Allston Parking Refugee
2003-09-16 19:58:40 UTC
Post by Jeff W
If i lived in an ez-pass state, I think I
would start opting for the cash basket lanes.
PS. at 35 in our agencies, we see the light turn green.
Sorry for my flame, it's been boiling up and it just seems wrong.
wait on the Triboro, last Saturday at 1:30 PM. EZ Pass, wide open, no
delay at all. cash lanes? 24 cars backed up, a several minute wait.
This is on the ramp from the Bruckner to Manhattan. EZ pass saves a
HUGE amount of time here in the NYC Metro ara. I can't believe I did
without one for so many years.
It also saves money. TBTA tolls are $4 cash, $3.50 E-ZPass on the big
crossings (double that for the westbound-only toll on the Verrazano).
Port Authority tolls are $7 cash, $6 E-ZPass peak, $5 E-ZPass off-peak
(eastbound only).

There haven't been cash basket lanes in NYC for a few years now.

I doubt that people go 25 mph through TBTA tolls, since the E-ZPass
lanes are all gated. On the plus side, the posted speed limit at the
Whitestone Bridge is now 10 mph, up from 5. (In other Whitestone
news, part of the truss has been removed and part remains, which is
kind of scary to look at.)

-Apr, who avoids tolls by taking the Chinatown bus
Stanley Cline
2003-09-15 04:57:12 UTC
Post by Dwayne Hoover
I always see the light turn green. Even when I've gone much faster.
I've been an ez pass customer for many many years and have always gone
25mph through the toll and have never received any kind of warning. In
NYC very few people slow down to under 20 mph. I think it's unfair for
I'd expect a warning as well...

Here in Atlanta, the posted speed limit for the Cruise Card lanes on
GA 400 is 35, yet literally *everyone*, including myself, goes 55-70
through them unless 400 is severely congested. If GSRTA ever enforced
speed limits at the toll plaza, virtually *no one* would have Cruise
Cards! (After all, this IS Atlanta, where the normal flow of traffic
during off-peak hours is 10 to 25 mph above posted speed limits on
virtually all freeways...)

E-470 in Denver is nice -- there's no need at all to slow down in the
ExpressToll lanes at mainline plazas as the cash lanes are more or
less built as *exits* off the main highway. :) (I believe it would
be possible to "fix" the 400 toll plaza such that the it's more
similar to those on E-470, but to do so would require ROW that is
simply not available, and there's still really too much traffic and
too much *cash* traffic on 400 -- only about 40% of trips on GA 400
are paid for with Cruise Cards -- to do it.)

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might
be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
Jeff
2003-09-17 16:31:14 UTC
Post by Nathan Perry
Post by Dwayne Hoover
[...]
According to the EZ Pass literature, you are never supposed to come to
a full stop in an EZ Pass lane. Have you ever noticed if people get
furious behind you when you're nearly at a full stop?

Guy Olsen
2003-09-15 04:14:28 UTC
Post by Dwayne Hoover
I was just notified with two letters today that 1)I was getting a
warning for "
speeding" through the toll plaza on the NYS Thruway at 25mph and that
a second offense would result in a 60 day suspension. Well later that
day I committed my second offense and my ezpass will be suspended. Is
this fair? Not exactly fair warning. I think the speed limit on EZpass
in NY State is something like 5mph - have you ever tried to do this?
It's impossible and would probably result in getting rear ended on
certain roads. I was just wondering if it's worth it to appeal and
what IS the actual speed limit - does it really differ from state to
state? Also can I cancel my EZpass with NYS and buy it from the Port
Authority like I read on another thread. Anyone know how to go about
that?
I have no idea about how to go about it, but my basic belief is that
more people should fight traffic violations, if for no other reason
than to gum up the system. If the number of not-guilty pleas doubled
-- and that is not a large percentage -- the increased caseload would
begin to make enforcing unreasonable laws much more costly, and, thus,
less lucrative.

Guy Olsen, PE