Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, no photography?
m***@hotmail.com
2003-08-09 22:11:13 UTC
Recently when driving from the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn back to NJ,
via Staten Island i needed to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge. Is this
the end of Road Geeking as we know it? Is this the only bridge that
you can't take pictures off?

Jason Machuga
Pittsburgh, PA
Burn Gum! It Melts!
2003-08-09 22:36:57 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge.
Only a spineless fool would obey the sign.

If you want to take a picture of the bridge, then you should go ahead
and do it. Screw the sign.

--

I think. Therefore, I am not a conservative!
----- http://members.iglou.com/bandit ------

Check out my blog blogga blog at http://bandit73.pitas.com
Richard Ray
2003-08-12 04:59:34 UTC
Post by Burn Gum! It Melts!
Post by m***@hotmail.com
I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge.
Only a spineless fool would obey the sign.
I assume that you have your Greyhound ticket in hand, then, Tim?
Post by Burn Gum! It Melts!
If you want to take a picture of the bridge, then you should go ahead
and do it. Screw the sign.
Don't urge people to do things that you will not do yourself.
I did. A tremendous waste of bandwidth.
PhillyMike72
2003-08-09 22:43:42 UTC
why would they forbid someone from taking pictures of the bridge??

mike
Burn Gum! It Melts!
2003-08-09 22:54:31 UTC
Post by PhillyMike72
why would they forbid someone from taking pictures of the bridge??
Because the city is run by a bunch of right-wing kooks.

Richard M. Simpson, III
2003-08-09 23:54:04 UTC
Of ALL the cities in the world that you could accuse of that Tim, New York
IS NOT one of them. The mayor may or may not be republican, but NY in
general (read in general, not EVERYONE) is just to the left of Vladimir
Lenin.

Maybe it has something to do with National Security. Now that is a novel
thought.

Holding up the light for the only three things in America that are
guaranteed:
Death, Taxes, and Tim's Stupidity.

Richard McClelland Simpson, III
C.L.Zeni
2003-08-10 12:53:31 UTC
Post by Richard M. Simpson, III
Maybe it has something to do with National Security. Now that is a novel
thought.
Conversation overhead:

"By the Prophet's beard! We cannot blow up any of the MTA bridges or
tunnels as we can't take photos of them, Ahmed!"

"Curses! Foiled by the crack American security policies again,
Mahmood!"
m***@hotmail.com
2003-08-10 14:13:58 UTC
Post by Burn Gum! It Melts!
Post by PhillyMike72
why would they forbid someone from taking pictures of the bridge??
I was assuming it was b/c of Terrorism (I thought that was obious so i
didn't state it orignally), and thats why i respected the sign and did
not take pictures. I have seen military officials patrolling the GWB
and other Port Authority Facilities, (if i would have looked harder i
probly would have seen them on the V-NB too.) and I really did not
want to become a terrorist suspect.
Burn Gum! It Melts!
2003-08-11 00:47:39 UTC
In the past ten years crime rates have dropped (Crime decreased by 57%
and murders are down by 65%) , Squeegee Men have disappeared, Times
Square became a family friendly place, the population of the city that
was dependent on welfare decreased, and much more to improve the city
over the past ten years.
Hey everyone...Quick! Call the museum! It's an RNC propagandist!

c***@charter.net
2003-08-13 19:59:14 UTC
Post by Burn Gum! It Melts!
In the past ten years crime rates have dropped (Crime decreased by 57%
and murders are down by 65%) , Squeegee Men have disappeared, Times
Square became a family friendly place, the population of the city that
was dependent on welfare decreased, and much more to improve the city
over the past ten years.
Hey everyone...Quick! Call the museum! It's an RNC propagandist!
Well, rather than post a fact to contradict his...

Oh, wait - it's you, isn't it? Never mind...

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.
John David Galt
2003-08-13 21:00:17 UTC
Post by c***@charter.net
Oh, wait - it's you, isn't it? Never mind...
Yup, he's the same old "bandit" who used to have a .sig referring to
President Bush as "America's first Fuehrer". Update your killfile.
Richard
2003-08-09 23:37:03 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Recently when driving from the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn back to NJ,
via Staten Island i needed to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge. Is this
the end of Road Geeking as we know it? Is this the only bridge that
you can't take pictures off?
Jason Machuga
Pittsburgh, PA
Why would you want a photo of "THAT" bridge anyway?
Since it's in the eye of the public at all times, it is therefor public
domain and the MTA has no say in it.
What are they gonna do, post camera spotters all over the bridge?
Sherman L. Cahal
2003-08-10 00:31:30 UTC
Burn Gum! It Melts!
2003-08-10 01:15:12 UTC
They probably put those signs for security reasons after the 9/11 attacks.
They (the traitors at MTA) let the terrorists win.

They need to be charged with treason.

Rush Wickes
2003-08-10 01:15:30 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Recently when driving from the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn back to NJ,
via Staten Island i needed to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge. Is this
the end of Road Geeking as we know it? Is this the only bridge that
you can't take pictures off?
The MTA of New York has placed a photography ban on all of its bridges and
tunnels. It specifically applies to persons who are using/crossing the
bridge while taking the photograph. There is a national security interest
at stake, specifically, they are concerned about terrorists taking 'up
close' photographs of cable/suspender connections on bridges or ventilation
points for underwater tunnels. Those photographs could then be utilized
to help them target specific areas for an attack that would pinpoint an
identified weakness and cause a cataclysmic disaster. They aren't after
folks taking panorama shots for their trip photo album from a distance.

This policy exists elsewhere in the world with transportation facilities.
For instance, one is not allowed to take photos inside London Underground
stations or Heathrow Airport, for instance. That policy was implemented
years ago to deter Irish Republican Army attempts to plan bombing attacks at
those facilities.

--
Rush Wickes -- remove the '=' to reply via e-mail
Blacksburg, VA
Douglas Kerr
2003-08-10 11:20:14 UTC
Post by Rush Wickes
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
Apparently, this ban was in place before 9/11, but the ban wasn't really
thought of before then.
Blacksburg, VA
m***@me.com
2003-08-12 14:51:18 UTC
Post by Rush Wickes
This policy exists elsewhere in the world with transportation facilities.
For instance, one is not allowed to take photos inside London Underground
stations or Heathrow Airport, for instance.
Wish I had known that in 1992. I took a couple pictures inside Heathrow
to finish off a roll of film. :-)
Pat Norton
2003-08-28 18:11:48 UTC
not allowed to take photos inside London Underground stations
You are allowed to take photographs inside London Underground
stations.

There is a ban on *flash* photography on the *platform*. It is a
safety policy for driver visual performance. It is not a security
policy. "Flash photography or any additional lighting is not permitted
on any London Underground platform."
www.tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/faq/filmingfaq.asp
or Heathrow Airport
You are allowed to take photographs at Heathrow Airport.
Robert DeCastro
2003-08-10 02:29:23 UTC
i know that this is not the reason but the bridge was mentioned on howard
stern radio show the other day, some mobster's wife claimed that her husband
told her that jimmy hoffa was buried in the bridge.
Pittsburgh, PA
C.L.Zeni
2003-08-10 12:56:13 UTC
Post by Robert DeCastro
i know that this is not the reason but the bridge was mentioned on howard
stern radio show the other day, some mobster's wife claimed that her husband
told her that jimmy hoffa was buried in the bridge.
She's lyin'. We *know* where Jimmy Hoffa is - ever seen a picture of
Tammy Faye Bakker without the makeup?

I rest my case.

Sherlock Holmes
NC
Raymond C Martin Jr
2003-08-10 08:55:00 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Recently when driving from the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn back to NJ,
via Staten Island i needed to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge. Is this
the end of Road Geeking as we know it? Is this the only bridge that
you can't take pictures off?
Jason Machuga
Pittsburgh, PA
Technically its illegal to photograph on the NJTP. I and many others
have ignored the ban. In fact, the NJTA website briefly used one of
my photos (without permission, of course). They have since taken it
down...

====
Raymond C Martin Jr
http://www.njfreeways.com/
David J. Greenberger
2003-08-15 16:21:39 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Recently when driving from the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn back to NJ,
via Staten Island i needed to cross the Verrazano Bridge. I saw a sign
put up by the MTA that forbid taking pictures of the bridge. Is this
the end of Road Geeking as we know it? Is this the only bridge that
you can't take pictures off?
Photography is prohibited at all MTA Bridges & Tunnels facilities.
Although the prohibition predates 9/11, the signs were posted in late
2001. According to Steve Anderson, the rule is enforced, and
according to nyc.transit posts, pedestrians at the Triboro Bridge who
happen to be carrying cameras (whether or not they plan to use them on
the bridge) are turned back.

(The rule, incidentally, only applies while on MTA B&T property. On
private property or an NYCDOT street, MTA B&T rules are not in force.)

IMNSHO, this is one of many examples of so-called security procedures
that do not enhance security one bit but exist only so the authorities
can proclaim that they're doing something.

Photography on MTA New York City Transit facilities (the city's
subways and buses) /is/ permitted, according to the rules of conduct
recently posted on the agency's web site. However, if you call NYCT
and ask, you'll likely be informed otherwise, and transit workers have
been instructed to report photographers to the authorities.

Similar rules do not apply at NYCDOT bridges, and I don't believe they
apply at Port Authority bridges either.

Someone mentioned the New Jersey Turnpike. AIUI, photography is
/permitted/ on the NJTP -- what's prohibited is /disrupting traffic/
for the purposes of photography. If you're willing to photograph
while driving at speed, or a passenger photographs, or you photograph
while stopped anyway (for a traffic jam, for a flat tire, etc.), you
should be fine.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY
Bill Mitchell
2003-08-28 22:00:00 UTC
Post by David J. Greenberger
Someone mentioned the New Jersey Turnpike. AIUI, photography is
/permitted/ on the NJTP -- what's prohibited is /disrupting traffic/
for the purposes of photography. If you're willing to photograph
while driving at speed, or a passenger photographs, or you photograph
while stopped anyway (for a traffic jam, for a flat tire, etc.), you
should be fine.
On the NJTPK, in the interest of safety, parking, stopping or standing
or traveling at slow speed to take photos or for filming purposes is
prohibited. This would seem to suggest that a passenger could film at
normal speed except that they then futher state the only photography
permitted without permit on the NJTPK is in rest or similar areas not
used for traffic and more than 100' from traffic areas. They state
that this is specifically without limitation except when they issue a
permit to allow it.

In fact, even in the case of an immediate news report, they require
that a permit be obtained by phone, and such a permit requires that
you already have NJTPK press credentials.

NJTPK permits require special insurance which specifically includes
the NJTPK Authority as an insured and do not allow the blocking or
impedence of legal access and/or traffic flow.

Been there, done that.
Steve
2003-08-28 22:36:58 UTC
Post by Bill Mitchell
On the NJTPK, in the interest of safety, parking, stopping or standing
or traveling at slow speed to take photos or for filming purposes is
prohibited. This would seem to suggest that a passenger could film at
normal speed except that they then futher state the only photography
permitted without permit on the NJTPK is in rest or similar areas not
used for traffic and more than 100' from traffic areas. They state
that this is specifically without limitation except when they issue a
permit to allow it.
In which case, I maintain that I was 100' above the roadway at all times
while taking my Turnpike pictures. ;)
--
Steve Alpert
GO YANKEES!
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT
Polkajig
2003-09-04 01:54:28 UTC
And are these prohibitions also related to the Post-911 paranoia? And
it now seems that other places too, like railyards, restrict or bar
people from taking photos.
I don't think so. These signs might be posted because of Fort Hamilton on the
Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) side of the bridge while Fort Wadsworth is on the Staten
Island side of the bridge.

Greg Pniewski
Bernardsville, NJ
Allston Parking Refugee
2003-09-04 20:52:47 UTC
Post by Polkajig
I don't think so. These signs might be posted because of Fort Hamilton on the
Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) side of the bridge while Fort Wadsworth is on the Staten
Island side of the bridge.
It has nothing to do with the forts. The signs are posted at all TBTA crossings.

-Apr
Oscar Voss
2003-09-05 02:12:58 UTC
Ok, but are NYPD and MTA police really going to catch you taking pictures> Not
likely. If you get caught, just show some proof of where they will be posted
so they don't think you are terrorists.
I remember a horde of police standing around, for no obvious reason,
near the "no photography" sign at the entrance to the outbound Queens
Midtown Tunnel when I stopped by Manhattan last month. Not a real good
time to whip out a camera! I also noticed cops lurking, less
prominently, at most of the other toll facility entrances around
Manhattan.

Considering how many people consider road geeks to be weirdos, showing
them your website might not help much.
--
Oscar Voss - ***@erols.com - Arlington, Virginia

my Hot Springs and Highways pages: http://users.erols.com/ovoss/