Railfan photographer harassment?
magyar
2004-06-08 05:02:23 UTC
Misc.Transport.Road added because us "roadfans" are concerned about police
cracking down on us eventually as well...
Railfans have been harassed on the streets of Burlington City taking
pictures of RL cars.
I know who the guy is.
Was it only one person, or a group of people?
Note that on a recent Saturday the River Line was swarming with
photographers, in the stations, riding the cars, and along the way,
and everybody was having a good time.
Yes, he was harrassed by an NJT cop on the
streets telling him he could not photograph any NJT vehicle from
anywhere, including a sidewalk on a public street that he was
on, where the train runs down the middle of the steet like a trolley
car.
This is the incident that earned NJT a couple of well-deserved
editorials bashings about their gestapo antics
How long was he detained at the police station? Was he formally
charged with any offense, and if so what? How many other
railfans were arrested with him?
Memo to self.
Do not attempt anymore highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New
Jersey.

Sandor G
--
"I'ma low pay daddy singin' th' high price blues."
--Corey Harris singing Woody Guthrie
Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
2004-06-08 05:05:48 UTC
Post by magyar
Memo to self.
Do not attempt anymore highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New
Jersey.
Memo to self:

Do attempt more highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New Jersey.
If they want to take me to jail, then that's their problem, because
they're the ones who will get sued.
Art Clemons
2004-06-08 05:31:12 UTC
Post by Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
Do attempt more highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New
Jersey. If they want to take me to jail, then that's their problem,
because they're the ones who will get sued.
Let me suggest that suing the police is a hobby for most folks, it can
be fun but is seldom renumerative.
127.0.0.1
2004-06-08 05:33:54 UTC
Post by magyar
Memo to self.
Do not attempt anymore highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New
Jersey.
Do attempt more highway (as well as railroad) photographs in New Jersey.
If they want to take me to jail, then that's their problem, because
they're the ones who will get sued.
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
2004-06-08 06:17:03 UTC
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
Michael G. Koerner
2004-06-08 06:30:55 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I saw a report a few years ago of someone being successfully prosecuted
by the Turnpike authority for taking pix of an accident that were
intended to satisfy the needs of an insurance company.
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
2004-06-08 06:43:54 UTC
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:30:55 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
Post by Michael G. Koerner
I saw a report a few years ago of someone being successfully prosecuted
by the Turnpike authority for taking pix of an accident that were
intended to satisfy the needs of an insurance company.
That's stupid.

Let them try to prosecute me. I will absolutely humiliate them.
Paul D. DeRocco
2004-06-08 08:44:36 UTC
Post by Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
That's stupid.
Let them try to prosecute me. I will absolutely humiliate them.
Not with a name like "Florence H. H. A. Mullet".
--
Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto:***@ix.netcom.com
Dan Morisseau
2004-06-09 03:10:22 UTC
Post by Florence Henderson Had A Mullet
Let them try to prosecute me. I will absolutely humiliate them.
I want to see your best stuff. Go for it, tough guy - talk's cheap!
You're pretty tough ... around the mouth!
--
From Mo-Pac's famous Kirkwood Hill - N 38°34'53", W 90°22'32", 680'
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to
visit violence on those who would do us harm"
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-08 11:38:58 UTC
Post by Michael G. Koerner
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Give it up, Koerner. The groundbreaking for the NEW buildings (which,
however much the original plans have been tampered with, will still be
immeasurably superior to the twin phalli) is on July 4. Less than a
month from now.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Michael G. Koerner
2004-06-08 15:26:14 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Michael G. Koerner
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Give it up, Koerner. The groundbreaking for the NEW buildings (which,
however much the original plans have been tampered with, will still be
immeasurably superior to the twin phalli) is on July 4. Less than a
month from now.
I will not. Silverstein _does not have the money_ to build any of those
buildings and that (so called) 'Freedom Tower' is the worst piece of
architectural trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA,
or any other people (Albany's Empire State Plaza is better than it).
The only people who are pushing that plan appear to me to be Petaki and
a few of his minions, along with Liebskind (who is crying for another
$1million as a 'genius fee'). I am very definitely sensing an
'Emporer's New Clothes' thing developing here with that proposal.

Yes, I know that I am feeding a troll with this response, I am now more
resolute on this than I have been at any time since the attack.

We now return you to our more normal discussions of roads, rails, etc in
the NYC area and the USA/world in general.
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they PROUDLY | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-08 15:34:07 UTC
Post by Michael G. Koerner
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Michael G. Koerner
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Give it up, Koerner. The groundbreaking for the NEW buildings (which,
however much the original plans have been tampered with, will still be
immeasurably superior to the twin phalli) is on July 4. Less than a
month from now.
I will not. Silverstein _does not have the money_ to build any of those
? They're not his to build.
Post by Michael G. Koerner
buildings and that (so called) 'Freedom Tower' is the worst piece of
architectural trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA,
Oh, now you're some sort of expert on architecture? The very fact that
you champion those monstrosities proves that you're not.

You probably even like the new WWII Memorial.

What's worse, you probably even like the Peace Officers Memorial that it
so much resembles!

Which turned out as awful as it did because its program was intended to
be the exact opposite of the Vietnam Memorial -- which idiots like Ross
Perot could not understand from the plans and renderings.
Post by Michael G. Koerner
or any other people (Albany's Empire State Plaza is better than it).
The only people who are pushing that plan appear to me to be Petaki and
a few of his minions, along with Liebskind (who is crying for another
$1million as a 'genius fee'). I am very definitely sensing an
'Emporer's New Clothes' thing developing here with that proposal.
Yes, I know that I am feeding a troll with this response, I am now more
resolute on this than I have been at any time since the attack.
We now return you to our more normal discussions of roads, rails, etc in
the NYC area and the USA/world in general.
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they PROUDLY | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Neither "roads" nor "USA/world in general" are relevant to this
newsgroup.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Exile on Market Street
2004-06-09 04:29:45 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Neither "roads" nor "USA/world in general" are relevant to this
newsgroup.
This discussion was crossposted to several newsgroups, including
misc.transport.road, to which Koerner subscribes. They deal with *both* of
the above topics.

Now what this is doing on phl.transportation kinda mystifies me, except that
I think the original poster is quite familiar with it and several of its
regulars.

Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.

--Sandy, denizen of both phl.t and m.t.r
magyar
2004-06-09 05:31:50 UTC
Post by Exile on Market Street
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Neither "roads" nor "USA/world in general" are relevant to this
newsgroup.
This discussion was crossposted to several newsgroups, including
misc.transport.road, to which Koerner subscribes. They deal with *both* of
the above topics.
Now what this is doing on phl.transportation kinda mystifies me, except that
I think the original poster is quite familiar with it and several of its
regulars.
Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.
--Sandy, denizen of both phl.t and m.t.r
I saw it on phl.t and brought to MTR because of the "legal aspects" of
photographing "public structures."
Where this thread was before Philadelphia, I don't know.

Sandor G
Jeff nor Lisa
2004-06-09 13:43:15 UTC
Post by magyar
I saw it on phl.t and brought to MTR because of the "legal aspects" of
photographing "public structures."
Where this thread was before Philadelphia, I don't know.
This thread deviated when someone complained about another person's
signature. If your reader supports showing the thread index, you
can see where that occured. The discussion on buildings has nothing
to do with public photography.
Jeff nor Lisa
2004-06-09 13:56:47 UTC
Post by Exile on Market Street
Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.
The original post was a question as to what exactly happened
in Burlington to either just a single photographer or a group of
photographers, being apparently on a public sidewalk. It may have
been as simple as "move along".
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-10 01:08:53 UTC
Post by Jeff nor Lisa
Post by Exile on Market Street
Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.
The original post was a question as to what exactly happened
in Burlington to either just a single photographer or a group of
photographers, being apparently on a public sidewalk. It may have
been as simple as "move along".
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Jeff nor Lisa
2004-06-10 14:02:57 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
1) People from Burlington commute up to NYC. Also, railfans from the NYC
area come down to Burlington.

2) New Jersey Transit operates in the NYC area.
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-11 02:31:44 UTC
Post by Jeff nor Lisa
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
1) People from Burlington commute up to NYC. Also, railfans from the NYC
area come down to Burlington.
2) New Jersey Transit operates in the NYC area.
What's NJT doing in Vermont?
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Sean
2004-06-11 14:23:00 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Jeff nor Lisa
Post by Exile on Market Street
Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.
The original post was a question as to what exactly happened
in Burlington to either just a single photographer or a group of
photographers, being apparently on a public sidewalk. It may have
been as simple as "move along".
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
In typical New York arrogance you continue to complain that New York
isn't involved.
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-11 17:36:47 UTC
Post by Sean
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Jeff nor Lisa
Post by Exile on Market Street
Oh, wait -- the thread originated with phl.t regular "Jeff nor Lisa" posting
to that group that Burlington (City, NJ) police were hassling people taking
pictures of River Line cars, which run in the middle of the street through
that community. Since they are in a public way, this behavior is really out
of bounds.
The original post was a question as to what exactly happened
in Burlington to either just a single photographer or a group of
photographers, being apparently on a public sidewalk. It may have
been as simple as "move along".
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
In typical New York arrogance you continue to complain that New York
isn't involved.
What, the NYPD participated in harassment in Burlington, NJ?
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
John David Galt
2004-06-12 12:27:09 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
Complain to David Greenberger. He's the one who insists on including
nyc.transit in the newsgroups list on posts about issues not especially
related to New York City. I've given up on persuading him to stop.
(Likewise phl.transportation)
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-12 12:39:52 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
Complain to David Greenberger. He's the one who insists on including
nyc.transit in the newsgroups list on posts about issues not especially
related to New York City. I've given up on persuading him to stop.
(Likewise phl.transportation)
He appears here far, far less often than when he dwelt in Urbana, IL.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
David J. Greenberger
2004-06-14 00:03:41 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Burlington -- whichever Burlington, anywhere in the world -- is not
relevant to nyc.transit.
Complain to David Greenberger. He's the one who insists on including
nyc.transit in the newsgroups list on posts about issues not especially
related to New York City. I've given up on persuading him to stop.
(Likewise phl.transportation)
According to Google, I've made 12 posts to nyc.transit (this makes 13)
so far in 2004. This is the first post of mine in this thread. I'm
not sure how I'm to blame here.

When I remember, I generally look at the Newsgroups line and make
whatever adjustments I think are necessary -- either adding new
relevant groups or using Followups-To to remove irrelevant groups.
(In most cases I don't think it's a good idea to snatch a thread away
from a group immediately, since some participants may only be
following it on that group. Instead I suggest its removal in the
followup post. Whether that suggestion is taken is not up to me.)

I'm afraid I'm not sure which posts you had in mind.
--
David J. Greenberger
New York, NY
John David Galt
2004-06-14 02:15:25 UTC
Post by David J. Greenberger
Post by John David Galt
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
You're right, I'm wrong. I should have checked for recent posts.
I've mostly killfiled the car-vs-transit-argument threads where I used
to see you do this. (When I respond to them, it's usually because
they're crossposted to some other group I read.) My mistake. Sorry.

John
www.JimWilliamson.net
2004-06-14 03:34:33 UTC
Post by John David Galt
Post by David J. Greenberger
Post by John David Galt
Post by Peter T. Daniels
[...]
WOW - Cheers to ya both for upstanding posts. In so many groups this would
have been a flame war.

Fustanella
2004-06-08 15:41:45 UTC
In your opinion. I and others clearly disagree.
b***@despammed.com
2004-06-09 00:58:24 UTC
Post by Michael G. Koerner
buildings and that (so called) 'Freedom Tower' is the worst piece of
architectural trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA,
or any other people (Albany's Empire State Plaza is better than it).
Um, not to get too involved in this World Trade Center .sig file dispute
thing, but:

Most of the experts I have heard insist that the Marquam Bridge here in
Portland, Oregon is by far "the worst piece of architectural trash to have
ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA." Unfortunately, they not
only proposed, but went ahead and foisted and built the damn thing.
--
-Glenn Laubaugh
Personal Web Site: http://users.easystreet.com/glennl
Peter T. Daniels
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Clayton Bigsby
2004-06-10 03:12:57 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by b***@despammed.com
Most of the experts I have heard insist that the Marquam Bridge here
in Portland, Oregon is by far "the worst piece of architectural
trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA."
Unfortunately, they not only proposed, but went ahead and foisted
and built the damn thing.
Got a picture?
There are several pics of this bridge at
http://www.bizave.com/cgi-bin/photoalbum.cgi?photoalbum=pdxbridges&slidetag=Marquam

or

http://tinyurl.com/25wvl

Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-10 11:18:34 UTC
Post by Clayton Bigsby
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by b***@despammed.com
Most of the experts I have heard insist that the Marquam Bridge here
in Portland, Oregon is by far "the worst piece of architectural
trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA."
Unfortunately, they not only proposed, but went ahead and foisted
and built the damn thing.
Got a picture?
There are several pics of this bridge at
http://www.bizave.com/cgi-bin/photoalbum.cgi?photoalbum=pdxbridges&slidetag=Marquam
What's the big deal? A double-decker highway had to cross a few hundred
yards of water -- there are structures like that on highways all over
the country.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Aaron "Katt" O'Donnell
2004-06-10 23:15:24 UTC
Dateline: misc.transport.road, Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:18:34 GMT.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Clayton Bigsby
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by b***@despammed.com
Most of the experts I have heard insist that the Marquam Bridge here
in Portland, Oregon is by far "the worst piece of architectural
trash to have ever been proposed to be foisted on the USA."
Unfortunately, they not only proposed, but went ahead and foisted
and built the damn thing.
Got a picture?
There are several pics of this bridge at
http://www.bizave.com/cgi-bin/photoalbum.cgi?photoalbum=pdxbridges&slidetag=Marquam
What's the big deal? A double-decker highway had to cross a few hundred
yards of water -- there are structures like that on highways all over
the country.
If you look at all the other Portland bridges, they've all got unique
architectural or engineering features that set them apart from other
bridges. The Marquam is your everyday generic bridge, therefore it
sucks. Or so say many of my fellow Portlanders. I think it looks okay.
Not terribly exciting, but a bridge is a bridge.

Complaints about the Marquam led to the design of th Fremont Bridge,
which you can see pictures of on that same site listed above. It's a
neat bridge, but it cost alot more then the Marquam.
--
aaron 'katt' o'donnell
http://www.aaroncity.com
b***@despammed.com
2004-06-12 06:22:49 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
What's the big deal? A double-decker highway had to cross a few hundred
yards of water -- there are structures like that on highways all over
the country.
You really have to see it from a distance away that also includes all the
east side approaches to the thing. Looking from downtown Portland to the
southeast the bridge plus its approaches create somewhat of a massive
steel and concrete wall that isn't particularly appealing.

Also, when the bridge was finished in 1966, it was quite tall compared to
many of the other structures in Portland. Imagine the old New York
skyline, only instead of being dominated by the two WTC towers, you had
this mass of unfinished looking girders and concrete columns sticking up
above all the other structures. Even now, after nearly 40 years, the
structure still dominates the Portland view from certain directions.

Since we've gotten way off topic, I'll try to find some of the photos I
have and e-mail them to you. I'm certain I have something that
illustrates how awful the thing is when you include the entire structure,
bridge plus approaches.
Pete from Boston
2004-06-08 19:16:28 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Michael G. Koerner
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Give it up, Koerner. The groundbreaking for the NEW buildings (which,
however much the original plans have been tampered with, will still be
immeasurably superior to the twin phalli) is on July 4. Less than a
month from now.
It's astounding how many times you've let this sig get under your skin.
Let it go. You're just egging him on.
s***@temple.edu
2004-06-08 17:56:36 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I have stopped two or three times on the NJ turnpike to shoot photos of
the NJ skyline when I was passing by early on a Saturday or Sunday
morning. I have never had a problem.

The only time I had a police officer ask me to not shoot photos was when I
was litterally standing in front of the Burlington County police building
that's at the foot of the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge last summer while I was
waiting for a friend to use the restroom. A cop stepped out of the
building and politely asked me to stop shooting photos of the bridge. I
complied and then the cop invited me in to shoot some photos of my friend
with the cops. Go figure.

When the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge was undergoing maintenance in March, I went
to the Cove Nature Preserve down at the foot of the bridge on the NJ side
early one evening and I shot at least 30 photos of the bridge with my
digital camera. No one bothered me. As I was leaving, someone else arrived
to shoot photos of the bridge. Anyone who doubts me is free to look at my
photos online at http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/TPB/TPB.html
127.0.0.1
2004-06-08 18:10:40 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I have stopped two or three times on the NJ turnpike to shoot photos of
the NJ skyline when I was passing by early on a Saturday or Sunday
morning. I have never had a problem.
good for you, if a trooper spotted you the results would've different

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
Pete from Boston
2004-06-08 19:20:06 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I have stopped two or three times on the NJ turnpike to shoot photos of
the NJ skyline when I was passing by early on a Saturday or Sunday
morning. I have never had a problem.
good for you, if a trooper spotted you the results would've different
Maybe, maybe not. But I will agree that getting away with something
makes it neither 'safe' nor legal. That said, I wholeheartedly encourage
anyone and everyone I can to photograph away until told to stop. Just be
aware that someone will likely try to stop you, and when they do, you
should be prepared to offer polite and innocuous justification for your
actions, and leave. Then go repeat the whole process somewhere else.

The best defense aginst curtailing freedoms is to exercise them.

And no, I'm not an attorney, and no, you can't say I advised you to
break the law.
127.0.0.1
2004-06-08 19:42:36 UTC
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:20:06 -0400, Pete from Boston
Post by Pete from Boston
Post by 127.0.0.1
[...]
do that on the turnpike and the first time you'll get a ticket, the
second time you'll spend some time in jail, but if proving a point is
that important to you, go for it

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
www.JimWilliamson.net
People have been known die for issues of principle
127.0.0.1
2004-06-09 00:17:26 UTC
Post by Pete from Boston
Post by 127.0.0.1
[...]
sure they have, but taking a photo of a highway isn't enough of a
cause for anyone

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
s***@temple.edu
2004-06-09 18:20:41 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
sure they have, but taking a photo of a highway isn't enough of a
cause for anyone
So why are our men and women fighting and risking their lives in
Iraq? Oil doesn't seem to be worth lives either.
127.0.0.1
2004-06-09 18:46:12 UTC
Post by s***@temple.edu
Post by 127.0.0.1
sure they have, but taking a photo of a highway isn't enough of a
cause for anyone
So why are our men and women fighting and risking their lives in
Iraq? Oil doesn't seem to be worth lives either.
are you always such an idiot?

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
s***@temple.edu
2004-06-12 04:48:09 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
are you always such an idiot?
Not at all, but you seem to hold that title quite well.
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-10 01:10:36 UTC
Post by s***@temple.edu
Post by 127.0.0.1
sure they have, but taking a photo of a highway isn't enough of a
cause for anyone
So why are our men and women fighting and risking their lives in
Iraq? Oil doesn't seem to be worth lives either.
It sure doesn't have anything to do with "fighting terror." (Or didn't,
until the US induced al-Qaeda to infest Iraq.) Even Dumbya has
acknowledged that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
Michael G. Koerner
2004-06-09 05:23:33 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I have stopped two or three times on the NJ turnpike to shoot photos of
the NJ skyline when I was passing by early on a Saturday or Sunday
morning. I have never had a problem.
good for you, if a trooper spotted you the results would've different
IIRC, from a MTR discussion a few years ago (pre-attack), the NJTP
anti-photo rules don't apply if the photographer is a PASSENGER in a
vehicle on the highway and they are going at traffic speed.
--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
127.0.0.1
2004-06-09 11:26:08 UTC
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 00:23:33 -0500, "Michael G. Koerner"
Post by Michael G. Koerner
Post by 127.0.0.1
do it on the NJ turnpike and you'll lose, try it, I dare you
I will. Just because you said I'd lose if I tried it.
I have stopped two or three times on the NJ turnpike to shoot photos of
the NJ skyline when I was passing by early on a Saturday or Sunday
morning. I have never had a problem.
good for you, if a trooper spotted you the results would've different
IIRC, from a MTR discussion a few years ago (pre-attack), the NJTP
anti-photo rules don't apply if the photographer is a PASSENGER in a
vehicle on the highway and they are going at traffic speed.
I don't believe that is true, a couple of years ago they harassed a
news crew for driving down the road while taping.

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
Eric C. Near
2004-06-08 23:47:58 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
[...]
I was asked by a cop once why I was taking pictures of a bridge and I
simply told him it was for my personal archival purposes and possibly a
website. Since it was a historical bridge he didn't have a problem with
it. I don't expect all cops to react that way. It's their job to find
out _why_ you're taking the photos, and if the cop determines it's a
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.

b***@despammed.com
2004-06-09 00:52:26 UTC
Post by Eric C. Near
I was asked by a cop once why I was taking pictures of a bridge and I
simply told him it was for my personal archival purposes and possibly a
website. Since it was a historical bridge he didn't have a problem with
it. I don't expect all cops to react that way. It's their job to find
out _why_ you're taking the photos, and if the cop determines it's a
good reason, that's it.
"Oh yes officer. You see, I'm planning to blow up this bridge on next
Tuesday at 4 pm, and I thought it would be good to get some archival shots
to send back home of before and after."

Somehow, I think someone taking photos for actual terrorist purposes will
probably have an imaginitive excuse of some sort as to why they need to
take photos of a particular object from whatever location they choose.

As Hajo has said before on misc.transport.rail.americas, the only country
today that probably has a successful camera ban is North Korea - not
exactly a place most of us would want emulated at home.
Eric C. Near
2004-06-09 01:02:56 UTC
Post by b***@despammed.com
"Oh yes officer. You see, I'm planning to blow up this bridge on next
Tuesday at 4 pm, and I thought it would be good to get some archival shots
to send back home of before and after."
Believe me, if I said this to one of my local officers, he would think I
was the funniest guy on earth. (They don't get out much.)

Hans-Joachim Zierke
2004-06-09 12:35:25 UTC
Post by b***@despammed.com
As Hajo has said before on misc.transport.rail.americas, the only country
today that probably has a successful camera ban is North Korea - not
exactly a place most of us would want emulated at home.
Demonstrated by photos of the Ryongchon station blowup: As soon as they
allow Red Cross and others to work, it might not even work in North
Korea.

While rail photography used to be a problem in China, I'm told that this
is no longer the case. For the steam fans, here is a nice page by a
german foamer about steam operation in China:
http://home.arcor.de/schienenwege/unterm/china/chinam.html

And especially for you as the steam fan: ;-) If you want to see
mainline steam in normal operation, you have to go NOW. I'm told that
2004 will be the last year of QJ survival! Hurry up!

As a replacement, they have fielded quite some 100 mph running with the
April timetable change. Now the 100 mph network has grown to 4800 miles.

Hans-Joachim
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
223rem
Beautiful shots. Thanks.
b***@despammed.com
2004-06-10 07:46:50 UTC
Post by Hans-Joachim Zierke
While rail photography used to be a problem in China, I'm told that this
is no longer the case.
I've been told that railway photography is officially illegal in Brazil,
but that is a legal hold-over from the goofballs that were running the
country in the early 1980's, and is a law that is basically ignored by
officials today except in cases where someone is being really obnoxious.
This is particularly the case since the de-federalization of the railway
ownership, making the railway operating companies no longer part of the
federal government.

Also, since the development of web sites for each of those private
companies, it is a rather pointless law now since all of those private
companies have photographs of their most spectacular structures on their
web sites. Both CPTM and the São Paulo Metro also have various photos and
basic floor plans of stations on their web sites.
e***@no.spam
2004-06-09 05:40:20 UTC
It's their job to find out _why_ you're taking the photos
Bull
Eric C. Near
2004-06-09 16:52:45 UTC
It's their job to find out _why_ you're taking the photos
Bull
Unfortunately, not bull. Most agencies require interrogation of people
taking photos of critical locations, in many cases including
infrastructure, when the terrorist threat level is blue or higher. \

An example:

(Georgia)
http://www.usg.edu/homelandsecurity/resources/ps_guidelines.phtml

(Louisiana)
http://www.loep.state.la.us/homeland/HSThreatAdvisory.htm
Interesting since LA requires this even at Low threat.

Allen Seth Dunn
2004-06-10 01:45:04 UTC
Post by Eric C. Near
It's their job to find out _why_ you're taking the photos
Bull
Unfortunately, not bull. Most agencies require interrogation of people
taking photos of critical locations, in many cases including
infrastructure, when the terrorist threat level is blue or higher. \
Which I don't understand at all. As long as you take a picture with no more
detail than that of what you could find on a postcard somewhere, I see no
reason why police agencies should give a damn (like taking a picture of City
Hall in Philly from a few blocks away). Now, if you're taking detailed
pictures of just parts of the structure in question (with no part that
stands out as an attraction or meeting point), that I could understand.
Peter T. Daniels
2004-06-09 11:49:27 UTC
Post by Eric C. Near
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.
You mean, the AAA is urging me to break the law when it tells me to pull
over and nap for twenty minutes if I'm feeling drowsy?

And _what_, one more time, does this have to do with nyc.transit?
Peter T. Daniels ***@att.net
127.0.0.1
2004-06-09 12:38:43 UTC
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:49:27 GMT, "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Eric C. Near
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.
You mean, the AAA is urging me to break the law when it tells me to pull
over and nap for twenty minutes if I'm feeling drowsy?
it all depends on where you pull over

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
Eric C. Near
2004-06-09 16:40:09 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Eric C. Near
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.
You mean, the AAA is urging me to break the law when it tells me to pull
over and nap for twenty minutes if I'm feeling drowsy?
it all depends on where you pull over
And the argument that your pulling over and sleeping prevents a
hazardous driving condition.

s***@temple.edu
2004-06-09 18:22:21 UTC
Post by Eric C. Near
I was asked by a cop once why I was taking pictures of a bridge and I
simply told him it was for my personal archival purposes and possibly a
website. Since it was a historical bridge he didn't have a problem with
it. I don't expect all cops to react that way. It's their job to find
out _why_ you're taking the photos, and if the cop determines it's a
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.
No one has ever bothered me when I shoot photos of the Brooklyn Bridge
and I know cops have seen me do that. I even shot a few photos of the
bridge about ten days after the 9/11 attacks. No problem.
127.0.0.1
2004-06-09 18:46:50 UTC
Post by s***@temple.edu
Post by Eric C. Near
I was asked by a cop once why I was taking pictures of a bridge and I
simply told him it was for my personal archival purposes and possibly a
website. Since it was a historical bridge he didn't have a problem with
it. I don't expect all cops to react that way. It's their job to find
out _why_ you're taking the photos, and if the cop determines it's a
good reason, that's it. Now if you're doing something illegal like
pulling to the shoulder of a toll road for non-emergency purposes, well,
that's your problem.
No one has ever bothered me when I shoot photos of the Brooklyn Bridge
and I know cops have seen me do that. I even shot a few photos of the
bridge about ten days after the 9/11 attacks. No problem.
did you stop your car on the bridge? can you read for comprehension?

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
s***@temple.edu
2004-06-12 04:49:53 UTC
Post by 127.0.0.1
did you stop your car on the bridge? can you read for comprehension?
No, and yes.

I walked across the pedistrian platform above the Brooklyn Bridge.
randee
2004-06-09 23:25:54 UTC
No, it's not their job; it's nobody's business why anybody is taking
photos of anything.
--
wf.